panadeeni

Max. Tow Length?

New to motor-homing!  We purchased a 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire Diesel Pusher and I am getting a stacker trailer built to haul my race cars/passenger car, etc.  The total length of the set up will be 72' (45' pusher, 27' total length stacker-22' box).  I am registered in AZ where the max. length is 65'.  Everyone tells me it is no big deal to be over - just go the speed limit and stay in the right lane.  Weights are fine (part of the reason we got the Newmar - 15,000# hitch/tow weight).  But I have also heard horror stories where people have had to unhook and hire a CDL driver to tow the trailer back.  My question is - do I/should I get a CDL license - will that alleviate the over length issue?  Thanks in advance for all the help!

Ricky

Ricky,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Three very different questions, assuming for personal use:

1. What driver's license you need goes by the state in which you are licensed.  All other states recognize that (reciprocity). So, verify what license you need in AZ.

2. Max length, weights, speed limits, etc are determined by each individual state.  So, you may be legal in some, NOT in others.

3.  Will you be stopped for being over-length?  Maybe.  I know my brother spend 30 minutes on the side of the road in AZ while DOT measured and remeasured his boat (a 32' motorsailer) returning to TX from Lake Powell.  BUT (yes, large BUT), were you ever involved in an accident, and either the police or worse, the other guy's attorney found out you were operating an illegal vehicle in that state...............

You mentioned race cars. Are you profiting from racing and do you have decals from sponsors, etc., on your vehicles.  If so you may be determined in some states to be a commercial vehicle and in that case you will have to stop at all the weigh stations and conform to commercial laws and require a CDL.

Most of the time it is going to be determined by the officer of the law watching you go buy and what mood he is in.

If you are not legal in your state you will not be legal in most other states.

I think you have a complex issue.  You are planning to drive a vehicle combination which is clearly illegal in your state and in any other state in the US.  I know of no state that allows motor home combinations of 70+ feet.  Most are 65 feet but some are quite a bit less. 

You say everyone tells you it is no big deal but someone has clued you in that people have been stopped and had to hire a commercial tow so... everyone hasn't told you it is no big deal.  Don't listen only to what you want to hear, listen to what you are told. 

I don't think having a CDL is going to help you.  You may be licensed to drive a commercial vehicle but the vehicle you are driving isn't licensed as a commercial vehicle and even if it were, it is still a motor home, not a tractor trailer truck which may be allowed a longer total vehicle length.  I guess you could see if you could get an oversized vehicle permit in each state as you traveled through but I don't think that is what you want.  Even if you did that, you would have to inform your insurance company and likely get special insurance to cover this situation.

If I were you I would consult an attorney before proceeding.  As Brett indicated, you may get by for a while but when a problem occurs will be the wrong time to get the answer you are asking for now.

Ricky, Brett and Wayne are spot on! Keep in mind if the officer thinks you make money with your race car, horses or what ever you are pulling based off of what he or she observes you will have a lot of explaining to do to a judge and just might require a DOT number IFTA (fuel tax sticker)on the coach and a CDL. Happened to my previous employer's wife and kids in VA a few years back pulling a horse trailer after winning prize money at an event with a motorhome, sponsor on the trailer side wall. She got flagged into a weight station and it all went sour from there. Some states require it on all vehicles over a certain weight.

Up here its not real common but also not uncommon to see a travel trailer (with either hitch design) stopped by DOT when the pulling truck has a business name on the door i.e. Joe the plumber etc, you are just the flip side of that scenario.

Not to mention that CA has (had?) a 70' max length law.  RVers have been stopped and ticketed in the past in CA and no one that I am aware of has beaten the ticket in court.