wildebill308

Rock Slide

4 hours ago, Manholt said:

Very grateful I did not have to explore the pros/cons of C-rat.  (VN '62-'63)

Not so bad when you go out in the 'ville and get a big bag of rice to cook up with every meal for mixin'. That and some tobacco sauce and it was all palatable.  I liked the ham cakes. I'd scrounge the cans of bread from others that didn't like the canned bread, poke a couple holes in the top and put a few drops of water on top, set it on a fire and the bread would come out like it was just out of the oven. Slice and put the ham slices and cheese and it was a nice sandwich. (Of course hot sauce, and a little rice on the side)

Tabasco?  Had no clue what that was, until I started work, chipping paint, on a work over barge, in the bayou's of LA. between NO and Pilot Town, in Jan. '64 !  That was not "the good ole days"!  :blink:

On 8/14/2016 at 1:40 AM, Wayne77590 said:

Not so bad when you go out in the 'ville and get a big bag of rice to cook up with every meal for mixin'. That and some tobacco sauce and it was all palatable.  I liked the ham cakes. I'd scrounge the cans of bread from others that didn't like the canned bread, poke a couple holes in the top and put a few drops of water on top, set it on a fire and the bread would come out like it was just out of the oven. Slice and put the ham slices and cheese and it was a nice sandwich. (Of course hot sauce, and a little rice on the side)

The good old days.;) While I wasn't Officially in any of those places I do have an Vietnam campaign ribbon. I was officially in Okinawa but did go on some no name TDY deployments.:P I wish I had kept some of the original "C" rats we had some had 1943 date stamps. Wayne you are right you can eat nearly anything with enough Tabasco on it.

Bill

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The good old days.;) While I wasn't Officially in any of those places I do have an Vietnam campaign ribbon. I was officially in Okinawa but did go on some no name TDY deployments.:P I wish I had kept some of the original "C" rats we had some had 1943 date stamps. Wayne you are right you can eat nearly anything with enough Tabasco on it.

Bill

My first tour in VN, I was XO of a 105mm howitzer battery (in the 4th then 25th Inf Divisions).  All of our HE (high explosive) ammo was new, but we did shoot some illumination rounds manufactured in the early 1940s that was left over from WW II.

Hey two Bill's, Yep some of those C'rats had some old dates on them. Surprisingly the cans were always intact with no rust showing on the outside.  I wonder why they can't make metal that way now-a-days.

Spent first 200 days at C-1. Only two of us Marines there most of the time. It was a FSB (Fire Support Base for you non-knowers) and manned primarily by the Army and ARVN's.  Army would have 8'inch and 175's and every once in a while the Marines would rotate in with 105's and 8'inch.

I think my hearing loss is attributed to the time I was walking through the compound and was about 20 feet behind a 175 when they pulled the lanyard.  I jumped so high I thought I had to tuck my feet up my rear.

My last 5 months was on Hill 55.