1haflinger

Towing 2012 Chrysler Town & Country

I have a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country minivan.  The owner's manual says NO to towing behind an RV on one page, and OK with front wheels off the ground on another page.  Called Chrysler, got a bit of a run around.  I have read older FMCA posts, but there were none on a 2012.  I want help on my specific make/model/year.  Can I tow on a dolly?  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I had a 2012 and then a 2014 - both T&C Limited models.   I have the digital versions of both manuals.   A month ago I traded the 2014 on a 2016 Expedition.   We tow a Cherokee. 

The 2012 T&C manual states no towing at all.   The 2014 manual states very clearly that it can be towed with the front wheels on a dolly.  

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)

Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle

Towing Condition Wheels OFF the Ground All Models

Flat Tow NONE NOT ALLOWED

Dolly Tow Front OK

Rear NOT ALLOWED

On Trailer ALL OK

There is NO difference in the two vehicles that I'm aware of (other than the fact they downgraded the radio in the 2014 and upgraded to folding power mirrors). 

Calling Chrysler is often futile as those of us with Cherokees have learned.  

GR

Google Remco. they may have something that would allow towing 4 down or Dolly tow rear down.  If they don't then you can't.

Carl

I have a 08 T and C and a lube pump kit is the ONLY way you can tow wheels down and from what others have said its a PITA. 

We made plans to buy a dolly in the event we had to tow the mini van or the Saab.  Its probably cheaper that the pump to find a used dolly

Only way you can get a price on pump is to Google Remco.  As for Dolly, cheapest I've seen, that I would trust, was $1,200 

I appreciate the responses.  Guess I need a little more hand holding.  I don't want to flat tow my 2012 T & C.

I am interested in towing on a dolly - front wheels off the ground.  Can I do this without any modifications to the mini van?

13 hours ago, 1haflinger said:

I appreciate the responses.  Guess I need a little more hand holding.  I don't want to flat tow my 2012 T & C.

I am interested in towing on a dolly - front wheels off the ground.  Can I do this without any modifications to the mini van?

I don't see why not as long as it is front wheel drive only. 

Bill

If you are waiting to hear how we made out - the result was not good.  I guess I should have included the make/model RV we had.  It's a Class C Forest River and we were told that the combined weight of the tow dolly (??lbs) and the Chrysler Town & Country (4477 lbs) would be way too much.  The hitch on the RV is rated 7500 lbs, but we were told not to exceed 5000 lbs.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Oh, and we were told that if we go to a light weight vehicle and use tow bars - the labor & material cost; base plate, brakes, electrical would be $5,000+.

Towing capacity is determined by the "least strong" component.  So, it could be the hitch, but could be frame or frame extension, brakes, transmission, etc. Definitely abide by your coach maker's figures.

6 hours ago, 1haflinger said:

If you are waiting to hear how we made out - the result was not good.  I guess I should have included the make/model RV we had.  It's a Class C Forest River and we were told that the combined weight of the tow dolly (??lbs) and the Chrysler Town & Country (4477 lbs) would be way too much.  The hitch on the RV is rated 7500 lbs, but we were told not to exceed 5000 lbs.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Oh, and we were told that if we go to a light weight vehicle and use tow bars - the labor & material cost; base plate, brakes, electrical would be $5,000+.

I think it can be done quite a bit cheaper than $5000.

Bill

As far as I know, the van with all wheel drive cannot be towed on a dolly.  I have towed, on a dolly, several front wheel drive Chrysler and Dodge minivans without problems.

19 hours ago, desertdeals690 said:

As far as I know, the van with all wheel drive cannot be towed on a dolly.  I have towed, on a dolly, several front wheel drive Chrysler and Dodge minivans without problems.

Your right. All Wheel Drive is for all intent and purpose NOT TOWABLE unless you disconnect the driveshaft which I am not sure if it is Practical on the Town and Country. Its Cheaper to buy a $2000 manual Transmission something than it is to tow the T and C.