gaylemarlowe

New TV Sound

We are wanting to replace our old, front, heavy tube type TV with a modern flat screen. Went to Best Buy to look at the new ones and gather sizing information.

We found out the new TV's have little tiny speakers on the bottom or sides of the TV. When the new TV gets mounted inside the old TV cabinet, the speakers will be inside the cabinet.

What does everyone now do to get decent sound from the new flat screens?

When I replaced our old TV's, I rebuilt the cabinet to fit the New TV.  Actually as you can see in this article, I cut down the cabinet height and left the front open.  This accomplished two things, I maximized the size TV that would fit in the cabinet and cut the cabinet back several inches and took five inches off the height of the cabinet, raising the bottom of the cabinet five inches.  That took a constant threat to my head out of the picture!  The rear TV was a little different, that cabinet could not be reshaped easily so I fit the TV inside the cabinet but framed it so the speakers are exposed.  If the speakers are on the side of the TV, you could mount the TV so it extends just beyond the cabinet. 

As the article mentions, when I went shopping for TV's, I did my primary searching on the internet, going to the manufacturer's web site and finding the largest TV that could fit the cabinet.  Then I went to retail shops with my tape measure just to be certain the measurements were correct.

Hi Gayle:

We just updated all of the A/V in our MH.  The simplest solution is a sound bar.  Our outside TV has one because of the small speakers and my poor hearing.  You do not need an elaborate home theater system.  Our sound bar was about $400.  It also will link to anything Bluetooth, so you can play your apple tunes etc.  Good luck!

Yes, don't buy that TV.  There are also TV's that have front speakers.  However, not all TV speakers are created equal and you should visit a number of different stores and turn the volume up!  It's amazing how much difference there is between different models.

In the past I had hardwired my TV to my surround sound (may not be possible in all RV setups) but I recently installed a sound bar and I sure wish I had done this years ago.  The sound is great, loader, clearer and easier to adjust than anything we have ever done in the past.

We bought it at Sam's Club for a bit over $100 (2.1 channel, just a sound bar + subwoofer, not 5.1 or what ever's current).  You just have to ensure that the TV you buy has an digital audio output and it will be compatible with most any sound bar.

I replaced a 117 pound TV with an LCD TV fitted into a 36" space. I drove the salespeople crazy when they watched me measuring the outside areas. They would walk over and tell me that the measurement was for inside the frame and diagonal.  Anyhow I put a 36" television in where a 30" television lived and had 4" boarders around the picture tube.  I installed a full articulating arm and since the speakers are on the bottom I unstrap (for protection it is strapped in when we are rolling) and pull it out making the speakers audible.

One thing that has happened is that the hardware technology is changing.  The television I purchase does not have the typical RCA connectors (Red/White push on) so I cannot hook it up to my old (2008) combination entertainment unit for surround sound audio. One day I'll replace that with newer technology. (But then the TV will be outdated.)

Good luck.

Thanks to all for their input. I was trying to stay away from adding a sound bar due to no good place to put it, but may have to rethink that. I also did not really want or need to mount the new tv on an articulating arm. The current cabinet location is okay and it would look better with the tv mounted inside the cabinet like the old one. More head scratching to do before diving in!

I can relate to this post. I hooked the surround system to the new TV and the bottom of the new TV curves and the trim does not, so I get some sound out, when I need extra I turn on the surround sound. I did insulate the nose cap while I was inside of the a TV box so it helps push the sound forward. haven't touched the rear TV yet, my box looks just like Tom's, since tis TV is still attached and works it just might stay.

Tom nice job!

6 hours ago, gaylemarlowe said:

Thanks to all for their input. I was trying to stay away from adding a sound bar due to no good place to put it, but may have to rethink that. I also did not really want or need to mount the new tv on an articulating arm. The current cabinet location is okay and it would look better with the tv mounted inside the cabinet like the old one. More head scratching to do before diving in!

There is no reason to believe that you will not be able to find a TV that will fit in that space AND have front speakers.  You just need to carefully measure the width as you will have a gap at the top or bottom (perfect place for a sound bar!).  With that you will be able to use a wall mount to install the TV in that space but you will need to add some minor bracing inside the cabinet to hold the wall mount.  That's what I did when I first replaced by 20" CRT.  With time we wanted more (more, more more!) and we found a TV that would still mount to the back bracing but would now be flush mounted covering the hole and some wood on either side and now there is space above the TV on the cabinetry for the sound bar.  We now have a 32" TV with sound bar and that's every bit of space available without the TV extending into head banger locations or block other cabinetry.  Happy campers until we need more, more more!