rfsod48

Steering Wheel Play

I have installed a steering plus stabilizer and new shocks on my mh and still have a 1"-2"play in the steering wheel when going down the road. I had the alignment checked also. Any thoughts on what else I need to do to eliminate this or is it something I need to live with?

What chassis?

How many miles on it?

Have you checked for play in the steering linkage?  If not, let us know and we can detail how YOU can do it very easily.

What chassis? 

Some have bell cranks, others do not.  Several very different styles of sway bar bushings.  Describing one will only confuse if you have the other.

This is why I asked.

OK, you do have a bell crank-- check it along with the rest of the steering linkage.

Fine a helper.  They will sit in the driver's seat.  With engine OFF, they will turn the steering wheel back and forth (right/left).

You will look under the coach, starting driver's side well in front of the driver's front tire. You want to verify that every movement coming out of the steering box moves the "next component" exactly the same amount.  Said another way, that there is no play in any of the joints.

You will look at front and back of drag link, bell crank (make sure it only allows fore/aft movement, and no side to side play, continue back to left steering knuckle. Then both ends of the tie rod (easiest to see from just behind the front wheels).

Indeed, no that chassis also check the sway bar end link bushings (if there is any light between bushing and washer or sway bar) the sway bar can not do its job. Replacement is very easy-- no heavy lifting.  Do upgrade to polyurethane bushings if replacing them.

I changed the bushings on my 2003 38N and it did help with sway but that won't fix play in the steering. There is going to be some play. I would contact Freightliner and see what the allowable limits are.Here's a link to what I posted when I did mine.

http://community.fmca.com/topic/8004-sway-bar-bushings-bad/