dbenoit

Buying RV Site In A Resort Type Park

So I see a lot of RV sites for sale, kind of like having a condo. We are thinking about purchasing a few up and down the east coast.

Would like to know the good, bad and ugly from RVers if they have any?

Thanks

Every state has different laws.  I don't have any, but know folks that do and they have bought lots in one park.  They use one and allow the park to rent the rest for a %, but more to it than that, just like renting out a condo...fees, maintenance, insurance, etc.  Think FL.

Carl

Why buy when you can rent.  The cost of the lot is not the total cost...by far!  There are ongoing maintenance fees and there can be additional fees added at any time should common areas (including roads) need unexpected repairs.

There is, of course, also no guarantee that the property will increase in value or even hold its value.  Just wait to see what happens when fuel gets back up to $4-5 gallon and see what value that property has.

We were looking for some nice pieces of land that would allow an RV and I saw those types. It wouldn't

be my first choice. I have only found 1 lakefront lot in Nosebleed, Maine that had the slab, septic, well and elec.

And the town allowed the RV. Good price and acreage but too far north. We will keep on searching.

Have to agree with BillAdam on this. Are you looking to re-locate?  Vacation property? what?  I'm confused.

Just trying to prepare for retirement a little early. We want would like to have a couple or one of these types of property so

we can come and go as we please. Stay a day, stay a year, that kind of thing.  Preferably on the east coast and preferably

our own property. I just saw a lot of those resort type "sites" for sale and wanted some pros and cons if we were to go that route.

I was born confused so it makes sense to me...lol

I would just pick one, call them and get all the information about lot ownership in each state that your interested in.  From what I've seen, they run from $20K to $200K+!

Good luck..

Carl

There's no reason to believe you need to pick anything.  You will always be able to find a park that will allow you to stay for a day, a week or a year.  The good news is that you will even be able to change your mind.  I was renting monthly in TX until today when I got the call that my Mother had died.  I stopped by the office and said I had to go.  They will give me "at least" 1/2 off the rest of the month but it's likely they will just charge me for the time we spent there.  Chit happens and you cannot predict when or where.  Don't get yourself locked into something you will regret and can't change.

It's just camping.  Keep it real and keep it where you can enjoy the journey without having to worry about what some board of directors is going to choose to do with your money!

Can't argue logic...if your looking for other places, sell the coach and go by car!  The biggest freedom we have as owners of a RV, is that if you don't like your neighbors or surroundings get boring...un hook and move!  

Carl

Blake. Got your coach sitting 25' feet away from mine...nice ride, no wonder trucks don't move you! :P  Got a 42' Dynasty right behind you, also 2005.  In front of me is a 1989 Eagle Custom Coach, belongs to owner of TCC, took me inside..WOW! All Electric, re done last year.  Got a 2006 Prevost by Liberty, behind me...Lady from Fredericksburg, TX. owns and drives it.  She does Peaches...duh.

Over in Cabinet shop, there are 9 different brands, from 1989 to 2006 all getting remodeling done, then custom paint jobs!  Average cost $85K.  That really got me thinking! :o:D

Carl

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  The good news is that my Mom's husband would not listen to me but he did listen to someone and has evacuated to a friends house on the West Coast.  The news of the track of the hurricane is improving but if it keeps getting stronger I doubt that will matter.  Hopefully, we will be able to get there to help in any way that we can.  Mom has no more cares so it's just a matter of trying to help those left behind.

1 hour ago, BillAdams said:

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  The good news is that my Mom's husband would not listen to me but he did listen to someone and has evacuated to a friends house on the West Coast.  The news of the track of the hurricane is improving but if it keeps getting stronger I doubt that will matter.  Hopefully, we will be able to get there to help in any way that we can.  Mom has no more cares so it's just a matter of trying to help those left behind.

Bill, sorry to hear about your mother. 

Be careful just make shure you get in secure what you need to and get out till the storm moves on. Just watching news depending on where you need to go you may not be able to get in till the storm is over.

Bill

We are in AL now and will be through Sat.  If things look good we will head to FL on Sunday but not head into Central FL until we know that we have somewhere to go and my step-dad has or will be returning home.  I lived in FL for 3 years and evacuated twice.  I have no desire to put myself in harms way.  If the storm loops around again as currently projected and heads back to FL we will be ready to go again should that become necessary.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:30 PM, DBenoit said:

So I see a lot of RV sites for sale, kind of like having a condo. We are thinking about purchasing a few up and down the east coast.

Would like to know the good, bad and ugly from RVers if they have any?

Thanks

After reading all the responses I will add my response to the top of the pile. First of all the condo is your coach not where you happen to be parked. I think you are better renting and not buying a spot. The only time is if you are going full time and you decide you need a home base. I wouldn't be on the East coast more likely in the valley. If you are going full time I would look hear for more info. http://www.rvnetwork.com/

Bill