OldBeaver

1987 Beaver Marquis Air Dry location

I recently purchased a 40 foot 1987 Beaver Marquis and unfortunately the air line from the compressor to the air dryer has a leak. I need to replace this line but have no idea where the air dryer is located. ..or what it looks like.

The motorhome is parked in a storage facility almost an hour away and sits on some very coarse gravel so crawling under it is very difficult.

Is anyone familiar with this motorhome and the exact location of the air dryer??

I want to have a new hose made and get it installed.

I have tried to trace the existing hose but after it goes from the engine compartment down near the transmission, it goes up towards the top of the frame and I cannot follow it due to other lines wires and devices..

Old Beaver,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Dryers are pretty substantial-- most are more than 18" tall and 12" in diameter.  Afraid you will need to locate it, as both length of new hose and size and type of fitting are important. It will be between the air compressor on the engine and the wet tank (first large air tank).

What chassis are you on-- that may help tell where the dryer is located?

Thanks Wolfe.

I am on a Gillig chassis.

I have located something that looks similar to the various photos I have  on the internet. 

What threw me off is the location - dead center of the coach in the front, maybe 2 to 3 feet back from the front bumper.

Most people that wrote about theirs mention either the engine compartment or the rear axle.

Where can I purchase the SS braided line? I called local Freighter parts department as well as NAPA and did not have any luck. Maybe Freighliner service department?

Also, would the entire line from compressor to dryer be stainless steel or does it connect somewhere under the motorhome to one that is not.

I ask because the only places on the internet that I found selling these do not have anything longer than 80 inches.

Old Beaver, Welcome to the FMCA Forum ! The maximum length of braded line you mentioned is very common on most RV's

Have you tried to contact Gillig? They might have some information on file.

http://www.gillig.com/contact

Safety Recall link.

http://www.carsafetyreference.com/gillig-motorhome-chassis-1991/

Service Manuals NOTE ! When I tried to down load the information I got a warning from my security software ! So one might ask about the issue when talking to Gillig ! 

http://www.download-provider.org/download-k:Gillig Chassis Motorhome Service Manuals.html?aff.id=7582

Should Gillig clear this issue please let me know and I will edit out the warning ! Thanks.

Rich

Old beaver, I had my line fabricated by a Hydraulic hose store. Just remove your old one and take it with you. It has a Teflon inner core, most have the hose available but they will have to crimp the ends on to suite your application. Some have a copper line that is solid other have the flexible SS. I had a hard time locating my dryer also when we bought our coach, someone made a wooden box around it and painted it black.

5 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Old beaver, I had my line fabricated by a Hydraulic hose store. Just remove your old one and take it with you. It has a Teflon inner core, most have the hose available but they will have to crimp the ends on to suite your application. Some have a copper line that is solid other have the flexible SS. I had a hard time locating my dryer also when we bought our coach, someone made a wooden box around it and painted it black.

Wasn't that nice of them. Isn't that an AN -16 line? You should be able to order one or just have it made at a local shop. Like others have said it would be good to have the old line as a sample.

I had one blow along 30 at S.Iris rd. in Indiana this summer.

Bill

If the hose snakes up out of sight wouldn't it be better to measure from the compressor forward and mount it in a different fashion than factory? Just a thought. Sympathize with you on crawling around on gravel. Ours is stored 8 miles away and all they offer is gravel. I run all tires onto blocks of wood for storage, and use pegboard to slide around under the coach.

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Wasn't that nice of them. Isn't that an AN -16 line? You should be able to order one or just have it made at a local shop. Like others have said it would be good to have the old line as a sample.

I had one blow along 30 at S.Iris rd. in Indiana this summer.

Bill

Especially when it wouldn't purge (never serviced) I thought it didn't have one. I ended up following the line into a wooden box, needless to say the dryer was replaced and the box went into the trash, I put it right back where Roadmaster intended it too be.

5 minutes ago, obedb said:

Am I missing something or am I the only one that read the last paragraph of Old Beavers original post?

Barring someone having first hand information on this coach/chassis, or information from Gillig, the best answer really is that you can not hide an 18" tall by 12" diameter dryer with 3 air lines to it!  Guess it could be located all the way forward, but that makes no sense.

The proper location is close to the engine-driven compressor, as two of the lines go back to the compressor/governor. And, since moisture is present in the compressed air before the air dryer, there really should not be a drip loop/sag, as it could freeze in cold weather.

Gentlemen thanks for all the info.

I calleg Gillig this morning and learned that the line is #12 and 73 inches long.

With that information I crawled underneath again and found with a hose connects to another one. Unfortunately that is as far as I can get laying on my back. There is too much in the way for me to disconnect the old one and attach a new one. There are two other air hoses and 2 liquid lines plus number of wires and a pump of some sort and bracket the pump is attached to that I suspect is welded onto the frame as I could not find any bolts that attach it to the frame.

I went back to my previously failed repair and gave it another try. Amazingly enough this time it is holding . I drove in circles around near the storage facility and put 9 miles on it.

I think it is good enough to get it into a service center where they can get it on a lift and do a replacement.

I also located the air dryer. As I suspected it is all the way in the front of the RV. I will also have it serviced.

Edited by OldBeaver
Awful spelling errors