neilcarol

St Louis MO To Mesa AZ

Question

5 answers to this question

Neil,

Try I-44 to Oklahoma City.

Then I-35 south to Ft. Worth, Texas 

Then I-30 west. Just West of Ft. Worth I-30 turns into I-20. (no road change they just merge together into I-20.

Take I-20 West till it merges into I-10. (just West of Pecos, Texas) This will take you to Phoenix (Mesa) through El Paso.

Quite a few more miles than going through Albuquerque.

Happy travels

Herman

1. While there is really no reason to avoid Albuquerque or Flagstaff unless weather is an issue, you certainly can take 44 W out of St. Louis all the way to 277 S at Wichita Falls, TX (mosstly 4 lane divided highway to Abilene, TX and then 20W to 10W to Mesa.  1670 miles vs. 1559 taking 44 to 40 to Albuquerque and South on 25 to 10.  Only about 1450 going through Flagstaff.

Even on I-10, you'll go over the Continental Divide, between Lordsburg and Benson.  Albuquerque is not high altitude, but Flagstaff is.  What time off year you going?

Carl

Albuquerque is around 5300 ft or equivalent to Denver. Flagstaff is 6900 ft. Don't think of either one as "really up there" unless someone is quite sensitive to altitude. 

At this point, since we have no further input from OP, I will have to guess that he's concerned about Snow and slick roads!

Carl