rpbuttery

Slide Topper Collects Rain Water

The topper on the 20 foot slide on my 2011 Allegro Open Road RED fills with water during rain, and sags badly (it doesn't run off until the slide is retracted).  The other three slides (all shorter) are taut enough to shed the rain water.

Is this a common issue, or does my topper need replacement?

It sounds as though the topper spring tensioner may need some adjustment to correct the sag, instructions can be googled with the name brand of the topper, most likely same as with any awning arm and roll assembly.

The OEM manual that cam with my RV states that there may be times when water stands on the topper.  They suggest raising one side of the RV before retracting the slide.  Well, that works but you need to stop and let the water drain a couple times when retracting.  Works for me 'cuz I'm lazy to tighten the spring and to cheap to pay to have it done.  I would think that since the manual says what to do that they properly tightened the spring but realize it will still do it.  Funny, it's only the 12Ft slide and not the 23Ft slide.

The slide toppers on my previous coach used to collect water.  For me, the easiest thing to do was climb on the roof and sweep the water off the topper, then pull in the slide.  That would be easier than lower each corner of the coach to drain the water, then go back to level to pull the slides in.

This occurs with our slide toppers.  It is just a matter of tilting a slight bit.  Once water starts to drain off, it generally will tighten up as the weight becomes less and less.  We also sometimes simply bring the slide in a few inches, wait for the water to drain off and then bring in further in steps until the water is all off. 

Snow is another matter.  We were in a good snowstorm once and it was several days before I ventured up to remove the snow from the slide toppers.  The snow had pinned them down flat on the slide.  I broke the snow into chunks and pushed it off.  The next spring I was sitting in the the coach when I heard something snap.  I went outside and the slide topper was slack, the spring had broken.  I'm convinced that having it wound tight with the snow load is what weakened it until it broke several months later.