oceans351

Fire in Roadtrek While Moving Boat

Folks,

I was transporting my 26-foot Sun Chaser Pontoon boat from the boat repair yard back to the storage yard on January 3 using my 2005 Roadtrek 210 Popular to move it.

During the move, we had some difficulty with the Roadtrek 210 cutting out, similar to a vehicle that had been in storage, and the carbon had built up. While backing it into my sport, the 210 suddenly stopped with the engine running and would not go any farther. The smoke turned to gray, then black and within a very a short time later a fire.

While waiting for the fire department to arrive, the fire escalated into a fully engaged fire and the RV was totaled. Have any of you experienced anything similar?

oceans351,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What did the fire department say as the cause of the problem?

Wonder if there was a fuel leak? Loose connection? Rodent damage to fuel line?

oceans351,

Is your Roadtrek a daily user or do you use it only for trips? Had it been in storage or the garage for a period of time? Rodent may have been chowing down on the wiring. They seem to love the soybean byproduct in the sheathing. 

Herman

Here's an update:

The adjuster hired a fire engineer to inspect the wreckage and determine the cause of the fire. His findings were that the transmission leaked oil on the muffler, which was below the transmission, and created the fire.

My personal lesson learned from this is that having a small "Kidde 10" fire extinguisher on board  to fight a fire is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done.

I will equip with two extinguishers at least twice that size and find out whether a Halon system can be installed. Whatever it costs, I can assure you it will be worth it after seeing this event while I had my son and two grandchildren with me.

I also recommend all of you know about the fire triangle. I knew it well 50 years ago, but time flies.

Did your Roadtrek have a transmission temperature gauge? Sounds like towing the boat overheated the transmission and it pushed fluid out of the front seal onto the exhaust. Most V8's have the exhaust routed under the transmission at the bell housing area.