SEDLERS

Norcold 1200 LRIM

My Refrig is freezing up ( too cold). The ice maker is frozen also and will not dispense ice. I reduced the temp setting to 4 and still have the problem. I went through the diagnostic codes and the fin Temp was at 27. I am currently plugged into 50 amp service and running the refrig on AC. Any Idea's?  The unit is level and the door seals seem ok.

Welcome to the forum. Try setting it to the warmest setting and hold the door open for 5-10 minutes. What is the outside temp?  You might try shutting it off for a couple minutes then re starting. Let us know how it works.Bill

Sedlers

Since I don't have a Norcold I am going by memory. I think there is a thermal coupler in the unit. i think it was attached to the fins in back of the unit. It may have come loose or may even be bad. 

That is where I would begin. Like Bill said it may just need to be thawed out. Can you empty it and let thaw completely? 

Herman 

Here is a link for testing the thermister that is attached to the coils in the refrigerator. Maybe this will help with diagnosing the problem. Also, the thermister needs to be on the second fin from the right, move it down to raise the temp. Just curious, what is the freezer temp?

http://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-technical-support-blog/how-to-determine-if-your-norcold-thermistor-is-bad-thermistor-troubleshooting/

Thank you all for the assistance. I think I may have found the problem as a bad thermistor. I have frozen fins right now and have to wait for defrost but the links and advice helped.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, SEDLERS said:

Thank you all for the assistance. I think I may have found the problem as a bad thermistor. I have frozen fins right now and have to wait for defrost but the links and advice helped.

Thanks

Be aware the fins will frost over during normal operation. These are not frost free units.

Bill 

But, if a layer of ice builds up, it time (or past time) to defrost.  Ice is a great insulator (just ask any lake up north) and can mess up refrigerator temperatures.

Yes it would be a good idea to start with no frost. However I was pointing out the fact that the presence of frost on the fins does not mean the unit is not operating normally. These are not frost free units.

Bill

Bill,

I totally agree. But, have inspected more than a few that had such a thick layer of ice that function was materially degraded.  Certainly a cheap easy first step before jumping into troubleshooting for more complex issues.

2 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Bill,

I totally agree. But, have inspected more than a few that had such a thick layer of ice that function was materially degraded.  Certainly a cheap easy first step before jumping into troubleshooting for more complex issues.

The Op's problem was it is getting to cold. I asked what the outside temps were but got no answer. I am inclined to believe the only problem is it is working to good because the setting is to low for the ambient temps.

Bill