hermanmullins

Battery Cables

Reworking my Battery Cables. New cable and lugs.:D Do you really need 3/0 welding cable?:huh: They use it on my coach and I wonder why. They use 3/0 welding cable and connect it to a 5/16 inch stud on the battery. This size and weight of cable makes it very hard to move the battery tray in and out. 

Any comments or thoughts? 

Herman

Herman, I go through the same with ours when I slide the battery tray's out. To answer your question, I would replace with the same and here is why (picture below). The rope represents the battery cable, smaller cable the greater of a chance to create resistance. If it was built that way it was for a reason. Those large cables are expensive, if they were not needed you can bet Monaco wouldn't have used them.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-02-at-8_10_41-PM.png

The rate of discharge on the golf cart is less than discharge rate when cranking your coach. One way to make the #3 easier to work with, if you have room for it, is to increase the length by enough to make bends longer.

If you turn on the microwave the current draw maybe upwards of 190 amps.  Thats why a 3/0 cable is used.  Welding cable is fine strand so it is much more flexible than standard 3/0 cable.

Herman, when I replaced the 5HP motor on our golf cart with an 11HP electric, I had to replace all of the cables with Welding cable. I like Kay's idea, give yourself some slack on the new ones.

I just purchase  a couple of 2/0 cables from Amazon,they were real flexible and a good price.

Jim

Jim, 

Spent 40 years in the welding industry. There are many manufacturers of cable. If you need cable go to your local welding supply store. Ask for cable with as many strands as you can get. The more strands the more flexible. The fewer the stiffer. 

You can buy what you need by the foot.

Herman