ggskied

National Park Trip Routing

Question

I am planing a trip from Ohio to the Mount Rushmore area to West Glacier to West Yellowstone to Jackson, WY to Breckenridge, CO the end of August 2017 through September 2017.  I have planned out the routing but am concerned which roads are suitable for our 36 ft class A motor home with a tow.  Specifically, MT 3, 12, 87, 89 (between Billings and Great Falls), MT 89, 2 (between Great Falls and West Glacier), MT 35, 93 (between West Glacier and I-90), MT 287 (between I-90 and West Yellowstone and WY 191 (between Jackson and I-80), WY 789 (between I-80 and the CO border) and CO 13, 40, 9 (between the CO border and I-70). Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by ggskied
added class A

14 answers to this question

4 hours ago, ggskied said:

I am planing a trip from Ohio to the Mount Rushmore area to West Glacier to West Yellowstone to Jackson, WY to Breckenridge, CO the end of August 2017 through September 2017.  I have planned out the routing but am concerned which roads are suitable for our 36 ft motor home with a tow.  Specifically, MT 3, 12, 87, 89, 2, 35, 93, 287 and WY 191, 789 and CO 13, 40, 9. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum. Where in Ohio are you leaving from? I was in the area this summer. A little more description of the roads and location would help. There are definitely roads you don't want to take the coach on.

Bill

Bill.  Read the request again.  He want's to know about the roads and condition!  Personally I would give the info in writing to FMCA Trip Routing and let them tell you.  You only need to be a FMCA member! :)

Carl 

gg.  My best suggestion and with that many roads, most of them being secondary, I would call or write (plenty of time till August) DOT in each State you plan on visiting!  They would have up to date information!  Here, you will get information on it, yes...but it would come at you in bit's and piece's, also, last year, different month's to several years ago!  Also, Mt. Rushmore in August...that's motor cycle season in Sturgis, good luck !

I have a small amount of info that might help.  On the last leg of your journey in Colorado, route 13 and some of route 40 will be just rolling hills, up to route 9.  May I suggest you continue on route 40, rather than taking 9, unless you had a strong desire to visit silver thorn.  Route 40 takes you through some beautiful country and towns such a Granby and Winter Park.  The main pass you will cross is Berthoud Pass.  It is high, but they have widened and improved it over the years, so it's an enjoyable drive.  Plus, you will avoid the steep drive up to the Eisenhower tunnel.

One other suggestion.  When visiting Mount Rushmore, try to stay in a campground in the Custer State Park.  They are beautiful, tree covered sites. There is great site seeing in the area in addition to the main national park, but plan on taking your towd on most of the side roads.

Chris G.

Westminster, CO

F3508s

The one road at Mt Rushmore you absolutely don't want to take your coach on is 16A. We stayed at Heartland RV Park and took 36 in from 79 to where it merges with 16A. If you turn right on 16A it is one of the great scenic drives but only in the toad as there are low narrow tunnels on this route. 

Heartland RV Park & Cabins, 24743 SD-79, Hermosa, SD 57744, heartlandcampground.com, (605) 255-5460

Well if the OP comes back and gives some more information I might be able to help. 

Bill

Hwy 789 from I-80 becomes Hwy 13 when you cross into CO,  stay on 13 to Rifle, CO. that's I-70.  I have taken it in reverse, had no problems with it...mostly one lane and very scenic in CO.

What happened to OP? :blink:

That explains, why you can run most any Hwy out there!  I would not attempt 13 to Rifle in my current 45 foot, I don't articulate as well as you, a 18 wheeler or tow behind.!

Carl

What's wrong with 13, we drove it last summer, but not in an RV, seemed like a decent highway except for a couple of construction zones

I think we need to change the subject since the OP that never came back. For those of you who don't necessarily care for kale, spice it up on you plate with a tiny amount of sweet pickle juice. I'm sure Brett is grinning...not.:ph34r:

:lol::wub: It was bound to happen! :rolleyes:

Jim, that's a first for me, and I will give it a try!  Will that work on collard Greens also?

I also, am a big fan of fried okra, not pre battered commercial.  I use stone ground corn flour, fry them in real butter.  Drain on a rack and add to a bowl with some Trappey's!

Carl