Sign in to follow this  
roblindquist1

Tires On A Saturday In Sarasota, FL

Hello, new to MH's and looking for ideas.  I am purchasing a new to me MH in Sarasota, flying in on a Saturday to check it out and pay the man, as long as there are no large issues.

Anyway, I would love to then take the MH to a tire dealer for new tires, late on Saturday morning early afternoon, and then hit the road back to WI.  The tires on it I wouldn't feel comfortable going over 50mph or more than just to a tire shop.  They appear to be original tires on a 2004.

Of course I've already joined FMCA, I've spoken to Callaghan tire and Lanning tire, neither can do a Saturday install.  I'd likek to use FMCA discount of course.

Anyone have any ideas, or do I just hang out until Monday morning and enjoy the sun?  The MH can stay at the park it is at, I can get to Walmart to buy some bedding and food etc, I would just rather hit the road and head home seeing this will be an emptied out MH with none of my personal stuff in it.

Rob,

Welcome to FMCA and to the Forum. Call FMCA office at 513-474-3622. Ask for the tire program. But do it today as soon as possible today. It will take a bit to get it all arranged. 

Herman

Rob,

Welcome to the Forum and early congrats on your new coach (hope it is as you expect)!

Not sure of what size tires you will need but some dealers may not have the correct sizes in stock.  You may have already checked with the dealers you mentioned.

Given your guess that the tires may be original installs (2004) I would slowly drive to the nearest dealer that has your tires.  You can check the date codes when you see the coach.  I think it's a smart move for you to replace them before your journey home.

So, play it safe.  Enjoy the sun and take a little extra time to get familiar with your coach and don't head home until you have new tires!

Blake

Sarasota to Tampa is 61 miles, there will be more choices in Tampa. You may also want to check with a mobile tire service, they are usually available 24/7.

4 hours ago, blakeloke said:

....I think it's a smart move for you to replace them before your journey home.

So, play it safe.  Enjoy the sun and take a little extra time to get familiar with your coach and don't head home until you have new tires!...

Blake

Agree, good advice.  You don't want to ride all the way home holding your breath.

Thanks for replies so far. This forum will be a great resource, I have lots to learn!

Callaghan has so far been very responsive and first thing they told me I needed to join FMCA, which the current owner had told me already. Michelins are an issue due to being on a large backorder.  But I'm thinking of going Continental regardless. Much less expensive and they'll hardly be worn in 6-7 years. 

I have date code and they are 2004 tires,  makes me wonder what else may have been neglected? Any rate I will not drive any further than needed,  pictures show terrible dry rot and cracking on the Michelins that are on it. Present owners is a great guy and is hiding nothing.   

I warming up to just waiting until Monday, and then taking my time getting back to WI  by Wednesday.

At 13 + years you might want to check all rubber components,

Brake lines, fuel, coolant hoses, suspension bushings.anything rubber will age and may loose the ability to do what it was designed to do. Some more critical than others

What is the mileage and is it a Diesel or Gas Coach?  Each needs different and some same attention.  Make, Model and Engine would help !

7 hours ago, manholt said:

What is the mileage and is it a Diesel or Gas Coach?  Each needs different and some same attention.  Make, Model and Engine would help !

58k miles, Caterpillar 350/ Allison 6 speed.