Sign in to follow this  
Mct

Balancing Beads

Yesterday had 6 Michelin XRV tires installed. Instead of what I call normal balancing procedure they used counteract balancing beads. I took it for a test drive on the freeway and the ride was really smooth. Does anyone have any feedback because this is the first I have heard about these beads. Thanks Mark 

I just installed balancing beads but have not gone for a ride yet.  The biggest problem that I've been told is the clogging of the valve stem so the the valve stems that come with the beads have a filter to prevent that from happening.  The balancing beads have been around for years, I am only trying them now because a manufacturer of the beads sent me a set to try on my coach to evaluate.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:57 PM, desertdeals69 said:

I just installed balancing beads but have not gone for a ride yet.  The biggest problem that I've been told is the clogging of the valve stem so the the valve stems that come with the beads have a filter to prevent that from happening.  The balancing beads have been around for years, I am only trying them now because a manufacturer of the beads sent me a set to try on my coach to evaluate.

Been running them for years and they have made improvements to the beads. The screens in the valve stems (kind of work) The Best test for leaks if you add air, is a little soapy water on the valve. The balancing beads can become fine enough(over time) to leak through the screen.

Never had any other issues using them and the tire wear has been even with no issues - as long as the alignment is correct ! 

Rich.

I just bought new tires and they installed beads.  If had them in the past but previous renditions were almost a powder.  Maybe more like large sand.  I think that's why they used the valve stem filters.  The beads they installed in my tires are more the size of large BBs or maybe like peas.  They said these new beads don't require the stem filters.   Additionally, I've heard the finer beads/powder can clump when moisture is introduced when airing up the tires.  That can cause an out of balance condition due to the failure of the beads to properly distribute.  The newer and larger beads are supposed to solve that problem too.  We'll see.

Two things to consider.

If you use anything in the tire that is dry (beads, sand, powder) you MUST install the correct valve stems with the appropriate filter.

Also you need to read the fine print in your tire company warranty. Some say the use of anything inside the tire may void the warranty.  Just be sure that whoever is installing the balance stuff offers appropriate warranty coverage.

I ask my tire dealer about this and he replied that more people are using the larger beads.  Also he added that he has many over the road trucker that specify he uses golf balls instead of beads. I'm not just sold on this yet though.