Genedee

Power Lift For Mobility Scooter

I have a new power lift on back of my Thor ACE for my new mobility scooter.  The lift plugs into the 7 pin socket.  I thought this would be great.  Not so...  After lifting the scooter the fuse blew on the socket.  I have looked at the owners manual from Ford, but can't figure out which fuse is blown or where the fuse is for the power to the lift.  Why would the fuse blow in the first place?  I would think the fuse and wiring going to the socket by the trailer hitch would be sufficient to handle a power lift.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much current does your lift draw?  My guess is that the trailer connector is fused at somewhere around 10-20 amps and a power lift could draw 10 times that much.  If thats the case you need to wire a heavy cable (8-10 gauge wire} and fused appropriately.  

Gene, did your new lift come with a 7 pin plug? Did the dealer who sold you the lift do the installation?  If so you may want to go back to them. 

I am not familiar with the Thor Ace. If it has a fuse panel like newer autos there will be a fuse for trailer lights. 

At the same time I am wondering where on the 7 pin connector is a pin with power. Most trailer connector only have power for stop lights, turn signal and tail lights. None of which are on unless activated or turned on. Puzzled to which pin has power all the time.

Herman 

You don't.  Key on=power for lights on toad, key off=no power. As DD said, you need a separate wire for a lift, normal operation is off a 12V battery!

Power lift was purchased from internet dealer.  It came wired with a 7 pin connector.  The wiring from the connector to the lift motor is too flexible to be 8-10 gauge wire.  I was told I could plug the lift into the existing 7 pin connector for trailer.  Manual for the lift shows a 40 amp fuse.

GeneDee

You need 8-10 gauge wire for 40 amp circuit.  The larger the wire the lower the voltage drop,  and the motor runs more efficiently on higher voltage.

I have a wheelchair lift installed on my car, not the motorhome, but it is wired directly to the battery with 8 gauge wire and a 30 amp thermal fuse. Your 7 pin isn't even close.

The lift should have a connector wire to run from the battery direct to the rear with a fuse link in it and then the lift will plug into that cable. That is the way mine is on the car, haven't got one for the RV yet.

Depending on how far away from the battery the lift is,  will determine how large the wire needs to be and what amperage will be needed. My favorite installation for the wheelchair lift is to use at least 35 amp hour gelcell battery right next to the lift, then install at least  a 12 guage wire to the main battery with a 20 amp fused circuit in the 12 gauge wire. This way the gelcell will take all the load of the lift and the charge line will recharge the gelcell. Be sure to use adequate wire size and fuse between the gelcell and the chair lift. As stated by others above, no way will the wire in a 7 way adapter supply enough current to raise and lower the lift.