Sign in to follow this  
unicume

Starting Batteries

Yes, unless you chassis batteries need them for a boost.

Be sure and cover the disconnected cables to prevent them from shorting out because the engine alternator will be trying to charge them.

Herman 

Thanks Herman

I get all the lights and whistles running when I turn on the key but not starting.

There is a separate start booster so I do not know if when starting it uses house power.

Maybe the starter batteries aren't up to snuff, but they read near 13.8 

Perhaps put new house batteries and see what happens.

Cheers

Rex

Rex,

Check voltage at the start batteries when someone tries to start it.

Are the batteries on a charger (from shore power)?

And, as Herman said be VERY careful starting with any batteries removed, as the alternator will have the lead from battery isolator to batteries HOT. You don't want to arc weld!

Rex, I ditto Bret's  thoughts !

It would be unusual for the coach batteries to power the starter circuit, but the circuit could have been rewired at some point in it's life.

There are fuses in the started circuit that feed power to a smaller starter relay - that connects power to a larger relay and the relay power the starter solenoid.

By chance do you have the owners manual for the coach?

Rich.

Thanks guys

Have isolated the house battery ends with plywood.

Will try the voltage idea.

I do have the original owners manual, but doesn't seem to helpful

Will look closer.

thanks again for the info.

cheers

Rex

Rex, This is what I have been able to find so far, regarding the Fuse box layout. This information is for an 2001 model year, but they do not change a lot. So I.m hoping this will be close enough to find the ignition circuit starting issue. might be just a fuse. 

You might look for a circuit tracing test set that would place a tone on the starter wire(s) with ignition off and follow the wires from where you inject the signal tone to where it shows up as the wiring runs forward to the ignition switch area.

PDF drawing of the fuse box's  PAGE 2 upper right hand corner pictures the fuses and circuit numbers for the starter wiring.

Look at the wiring drawing of the Service Manual PDF--on page 12 for the drawing of the starter wiring.

Hope this gets you close to the problem or directly to it !!! 

Rich. 

2000_beaver_marquis_dc_breaker_panel_schematic.pdf

Beaver_Service_Manual_(Electrical_Diagrams).pdf

Reread the post. Check your solenoids. My solenoid up in the front allows power to the starter solenoid.  If the front is good then check the starter solenoid. 

Herman