huffypuff

Stay Away From Rand McNally GPS

My old GPS died internally after 7 years of use and had to be replaced.  I picked what supposed to be the latest and greatest GPS from Rand McNally while finishing up winter trip February 2017.  Right away it started having problems with it freezing up and was told by tech support to run updates using my computer to fix it.  I sure couldn't do it on the road and had to wait until I got home to have internet fast enough to update about 345 files.  In the meantime I had errors such as no legal route, freezing and lost communication.  There was times we were better off using Google maps on the phone than the new GPS.  

Finally when we got home I was able to run updates on it and fixed some of the problems but it continued to freeze most of the time when turning on after a stop.  I called Rand McNally tech support again and had to send the unit in for repairs.  Finally after about a month I got a replacement unit.  I had to run update on that unit also for it to operate like a GPS suppose to but it still freeze.  I have to go to the back of the unit and press the reset button with a ink pen to get it going again.  Tech support is very poor and I could of brought a cheap better unit at WalMart.  Well live and learn but I will recommend everyone to stay away from Rand McNally GPS units.  

Has anyone else have experience with Rand McNally?  If so what did you to resolve it up to and including refund?  I thought about filing a complaint with their local BBS.  

After all my troubles with the RM7710, being told their updated maps and software likely prevented it from working properly because it was 4-5 years old, "repaired" twice for $100 ea. during that period and then they wouldn't stand behind their "repair" even for 3 months, I took little pleasure in smashing it and bought the newest Garmin RV 770. Getting used to it and hoping it won't keep fading out and shutting down every hour or so like the RM did.

YUP JUNK, I posted on my dissatisfaction it a few years back on another post. Ours will send you down roads not suited for a 4x4 let alone an RV, then take you miles off course to do so when the simple solution was to stay straight on the Interstate you are on. The final straw is when it couldn't locate Myrtle Beach SC. I use it for a rolling map now and have not replaced it. I have update it numerous times, sent it back to them, nothing fixed it and by the time they were done playing with it I couldn't return it or get a refund. I heard they are no longer making them, not sure if its true but from what I heard there is also class action law suite brewing.

I bought a RM 7730  in 2013. It has worked fine after I figured out I had several setting wrong, before that I got errors like: no road, warning-dirt road, etc.

I phoned tech support and the man walked me through my settings, and explained how to use each one that I was having trouble using.

The Good Sam version is 7735, same unit with different brand. Both use the same software.