CordellVickers

Onan Over Temperature Problem

Welcome to the forum. Not enough information on your Onan. What model is it and how are you determining it was overtemp. Did you pull the codes? What were the codes?

Bill

As Bill says, check the fault codes, these are a blinking sequence of a light on the start button on the unit.  If you don't have the Onan manual for your model, you can get them on-line.  Instructions for reading the codes are included with the information that describe what the codes mean.  There are a number of sensors on the generator and several of them will cause a shut-down.  There are also other interfaces with the generator, our inverter acts as a controller for the generator, has an auto-start function and will also shut the generator off after a set period of time or at specific times of the day or night (quiet times).

The obvious is to check the coolant level.  If that is good, and the code indicates high temperature, you likely need to get in touch with Onan/Cummins and have the unit serviced. 

We had a problem with temperature once, codes indicated high temperature shut down.  Had to have the sensor replaced.  Turned out it was corroded and shorting out.  With that done, has been running fine ever since. 

If you have an Onan quiet diesel, Have you checked the V belt that drives the water pump?

Jim

11 hours ago, CordellVickers said:

Engine shuts down in 10 minutes.

Could you post the model of the Generator ?  Have You recently changed the coolant? How many hrs. on the unit? How Old is the coach the generator is in and is the generator mounted on a slide out ?

Rich.

12 hours ago, abyrd said:

If you have an Onan quiet diesel, Have you checked the V belt that drives the water pump?

Jim

Good point.  I didn't know there was a V Belt inside that big green box.  We were  in Phoenix at Cummins and I had them do service on the engine and generator.  I wanted the serpentine belt on the engine replaced.  They asked about the generator belt.  I said I didn't know there was a belt.  They said it should be replaced at 1000 hours and we were just beyond that so I told them to go ahead.  They brought me the old belt, it was in threads in several places.  I was amazed that it hadn't completely failed.  Now, it's on my list, every 1000 hours, new belt.  Our generator is at 2150 hours now.

Just being human ! :lol:  Brett is correct...my problem is a good "Who dun it" on a rainy day, not the Generator Manual !!:P