beschmidtke

Road Noise From Tires

I have a 40' Intrigue with new Toyo tires.  We are experiencing a noise from the rear of the coach that is first noticeable at 50 MPH and becomes louder from there.  It does not change with engine RPM.  The coach has been checked for motor mounts, drive line/u-joints, bearings, and exhaust.  The final opinion of Cummins and a local commercial tire company is that there must be an issue with the rear tires, although they could not find any evidence of tire separation.  Has anyone experienced such noise and solved it with new tires?  The noise is similar to driving on a rough concrete highway.  I am interested in other opinions before I spend $4k on rear tires.

I just installed new Toyo tires on my rear axle, tried balancing beads.  I don't notice any difference in noise from the Michelins I took off.  I do notice different highway surfaces cause different sounds.  My tire size is 245/75R22.5.  My cost was a little under $1000, the beads were sent to me from the manufacturer for testing.

How old are your tires? Older tires are harder and would tend to be noisier. What preshure are you running? Have you had someone drive alongside the coach (on a 4 lane) and see if they can definitely tell if it is the tires?

Bill 

On 7/3/2017 at 9:19 PM, beschmidtke said:

Thank you for the replies.

The tires are 18 months old and with highway tread.  When I had them checked all pressures were set to 120.

Can you provide the specific design name of your Toyo tires?

Running Michelin Defender LT tires, 245/75/16 .... No noise at all. Extremely quiet.

I would go back to the people who sold you those tires and ask them how this happened?  Could it be an installation issue?  

18 months is not that old.... tires should last for five years.... 

When I recently got my tires,  I asked them about a mileage guarantee.. they said, regardless of mileage,  I'll need to replace them in five years and I probably won't reach the 50,000 estimated miles by then... they're probably right! 

Not familiar with Toyo tires, but,  I'm sure that they're fine.... could be a balance or wheel alignment issue...?   I would put this all back on the shop that sold you those tires..

IF they can't or won't give you a satisfactory answer...I would find another place to purchase your next set.

Why didn't you purchase Michelin tires again opting for Toyo?? Sometimes price is only one factor...you have to consider performance as well..