grantbaugh

Surge Protectors

July issue FMCA magazine p48 talks about 50 amp protectors, but what about 30 amp that I see frequently...do I need a second device......article didn't discuss 30 amp.

If your coach is 50 amp and you use an adaptor to 30 amp service your system will still work.  On mine with 30 amp the readout shows 2 amp readings, one for each leg and I just add together for the total.

If your power cord is 30 amp and you are using a 30 amp surge protector and an adapter to plug into a 50 amp outlet, you are protected. If your power cord is 50 amp power cord and you have a 50 amp surge protector and using a 50 amp female to 30 amp male, you are protected. 

You buy the surge protector that is appropriate for your coach.  If your incoming power is limited to 30 amp (known as a 30 amp coach) then you buy a 30 amp surge protector.  If you have a 50 amp coach you buy a 50 amp surge protector.  No matter what adapters or dog bones you use to plug the coach into the available plug will have no effect on the surge protector.