rvdreams16

Roof A/C Running While Driving

We are relatively new fulltimer's and about to make our first long haul trip (3k miles). We have been trying to figure out how to keep the coach cool for our pets while we travel. Thanks to all the forums out there we just read that running the generator while driving will allow us to use the roof A/C units and power the fridge on electric. That being said, we are a little naive about how to properly do this and all the 'in's and out's' of it. Any advice? Thoughts?  

Yes, your generator and roof A/C are designed to be used while driving.

And, just a suggestion, but you might modify your signature to reflect what coach you have.  That will allow much more accurate answers.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:02 AM, rvdreams16 said:

We are relatively new fulltimer's and about to make our first long haul trip (3k miles). We have been trying to figure out how to keep the coach cool for our pets while we travel. Thanks to all the forums out there we just read that running the generator while driving will allow us to use the roof A/C units and power the fridge on electric. That being said, we are a little naive about how to properly do this and all the 'in's and out's' of it. Any advice? Thoughts?  

Step one - dont be nervous, we all been there and it just kills the fun. 
Step Two - turn it on and run down the road, we all do it. Be careful, make sure you dont run the tank less than what the genny needs to run cause if its a diesel you may have to bleed lines if you run it out but other than that --- proceed to step three
Step Three - ENJOY ENJOY and if your ever in the Mid Atlantic region, shoot a message out there are a few folks that will hang out with ya and show you where the good eats are!

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:02 AM, rvdreams16 said:

Yes you can just like all the reply's so far. Unless you have a residential type refrigerator you can run the refrigerator on propane. The next thing is yes you can run the furnace while going down the road (with out running the generator.) Now the next  unasked question. Yes you can run the hot water heater on propane when going down the road. Your wife will appreciate the hot water when you stop for a break.

Bill

One more thing to consider when running the generator while going down the road...  Be sure to shut off the A/C about 5 minutes before you reach your destination.  The generator does not like to be shut off when it is under load, so turning off the A/C beforehand gives it time to turn off the compressors and blowers before you turn off the genset.  Our generator has an autorun feature, so we use that.  After we turn off the A/C, the system knows when it is OK to shut down the generator, and does so automatically.

I turn off AC before I leave coach to check in at RV Park, when I come out, I shut off Generator.  I also, hook up coach to pedestal, turn AC back on, hook up water and sewage.  Then turn off ignition ( Turbo is cool by that time)! :)