SherryCasteen

Preferred Supplemental Brake System

Actually, not sure there is one BEST.

If you keep a toad for a long time, a permanently installed system is great.  Change toads often or two two different vehicles, a poor choice.

Is your coach on a gas chassis or DP with air system-- that helps define those that work better with your toad.

Tell us more about your coach, toad and needs and we may be able to assist in YOUR choice, rather than just telling what worked best for US.

Can I bump this topic?  We’re going to be towing a Honda CRV, with a gasser (2002 bounder chevy 8.1).  Looking at best/low cost supplemental brake system.

Depends if you need new. I found a Brake Buddy and a tow bar used for $450.00. I would recommend getting a new base plate. Till the BB quits it is the best.:P

Bill

There are definitely some used ones available out here.  I'm guessing that's not a bad idea... Definitely plan on a new base plate!  Found some roadmaster all-terrain bars for sale locally.. Just not sure of their condition.  The number of braking system options is overwhelming :wacko:

You can call roadmaster and check but the used tow bars can probably be zeroed out buy replacing worn parts. I think the All -Terrain bars are easier to hook up and un hook.

http://roadmasterinc.com/index.php

I have a Blue Ox and have had the factory do a complete "service" at a rally they were at. I think Roadmaster does the same thing. You can check the web site.

Bill

We've used Blue Ox for the past 12 years.  We're on our second tow bar and brake system.  I like the functionality of setting gain from the coach.

Blake

I have a Blue Ox Patriot 2.  Easy in, easy out and if I change toads (or MHs) it's an easy switch.

Can you use a blue ox braking system with a roadmaster tow bar?  Both install places locally recommend roadmaster.  Also if you buy used how can you confirm it's not broken?  

Here's basics of your toad hook-up.

Tow bar and base plate(s) are needed to couple your toad to the motorhome.  They're separate from the actual braking system that applies braking power to your toad.  I would stick with like manufacturer for the tow bar and base plate(s) as the connection to the base plate(s) may be specific to the manufacturer.

Just make sure you get a tow bar that is rated to handle the weight of your toad.

The actual braking system can be whatever brand you deem best.  Some on this Forum prefer M&G which I've heard a lot of positive comments about.

We have a Blue Ox Patriot 2 like Five mentions above.  The reason why we stick with the Blue Ox is we have two different toads so it's pretty simple to switch the portable "box" from vehicle to vehicle.  One downside is once we get to our destination we have to stow the "box" somewhere.  Usually in the MH bay.

I don't know if Roadmaster offers a remote adjustable gain and panic brake lever.  I've never had to use the panic brake lever but I sure like to be able to adjust braking power based on road and driving conditions.

I'm sure Roadmaster is good but I wouldn't rule out Blue Ox.

Not sure that I'd buy a used unit just to save a few hundred dollars.  From a safety perspective, there's a lot riding on the reliability of your braking system.  Better to "know" you have something that works.

Hope this helps.

Blake

3 hours ago, jenmacias2015 said:

Can you use a blue ox braking system with a roadmaster tow bar?  Both install places locally recommend roadmaster.  Also if you buy used how can you confirm it's not broken?  

Yes you can. I am not surprised the places selling Roadmaster recommend Roadmaster.:D 

"if you buy used how can you confirm it's not broken?" I had the same question  about my Brake Buddy so I  called them and asked. They said if it pumps up air and activates it is good. They said to test it put it on the passenger seat strapped down with your seat belt. Now drive around and hit your brakes like stopping normally if it actuates it is good. There is a adjustment for sensitivity that you can use to increase or decrease how sensitive it is to the stopping inertia.

Bill

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes you can. I am not surprised the places selling Roadmaster recommend Roadmaster.:D 

"if you buy used how can you confirm it's not broken?" I had the same question  about my Brake Buddy so I  called them and asked. They said if it pumps up air and activates it is good. They said to test it put it on the passenger seat strapped down with your seat belt. Now drive around and hit your brakes like stopping normally if it actuates it is good. There is a adjustment for sensitivity that you can use to increase or decrease how sensitive it is to the stopping inertia.

Bill

Bill, 

thats awesome!  Thanks for the advice.

The one place I called about install, I was initially looking at blueox and he said “oh you dont wanna do that”. and proceeded to bash blue ox.  Needless to say I wont be having it installed there.  The second is place just explained that it was easier to work with Roadmaster since they're so close to us.... ugh..... I’m tempted to do it myself but I get a little overwhelmed by the wiring part. This girl has tools and will try almost anything 😂 

Blue Ox or Roadmaster?

They are, I think, equal.  Have had both, I will get BO if I start towing another heavier vehicle again.  Currently have RM.  I have tried every break system you can buy and I like the M&G the best.  My SO loves her BO and AF1, she tows a Expedition 4 down with a Remco disconnect.