fagnaml

"Hard Freeze" For Houston To Start 2018

Let me start by wishing the forum a blessed, safe and prosperous 2018 !!

The Houston area is forecast to start 2018 with a "hard freeze" with temps dropping to the upper teens / lower 20's the mornings of January 3 & 4. 

To prep for the "big chill" while my motorhome is in storage, I opened my hot and cold water low point drains, emptied the hot water heater and opened all faucets (to let air into the water lines as the low point drains emptied).   Given the short duration of the chilly weather, I did not air-blow the water lines nor use water system anti-freeze in sink/shower drain traps.   All water tanks (fresh, gray, black) are empty as usual during storage.   Is my prep work adequate for a couple of mornings of 20 F weather?

p.s.  No chuckling from the northern folks about a "hard freeze" for the Houston area.  We're quite wimpy when temps drop below 50 F because our wardrobes are comprised mostly of shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops!

YOu do need to open the toilet water valve to clear it and also, clear the water pump inlet screen.  Other items to clear are the water filters.  And you really need to still add some antifreeze to the traps at the sinks and shower

Ken.

The likelyhood that a two day freeze even a hard one will freeze a coach in inside cold storage is at best unlikely even outside not likely, as you have the unit mass to help slow down the freeze. However, if outside, add a breeze or a wind, horse of a different color. If outside open the blade valves for the grey and black water tanks to be sure no water there. Yes best to open the low point drains and remove or disassemble the toilet valve assembly. Easy a couple screws to remove the shield and a nut to drop the remaining spring and plunger. Pink stuff in the traps.

Agree with Bill on this.  Last year we had two nights with temps in the 11-13 degrees F range (here in Conroe).  Our coach is in it's garage and had no problem.  But, two outside water faucets on the garage froze and broke.  My bad.....I should have shut off the water supply and opened the valves.

Blake

Mike, if you have electric, turn on the furnaces in addition to what you have already done. I have experienced temps dropping into the freezing point over night, never had a problem, for a few days I wouldn't want to risk it to save $20.00 on RV antifreeze.

I totally agree that you have probably done enough.  I guess the only thing I would worry about is what if the good old weatherman misses their predicted target temps?