tmkkmk8

Carefree Awning Retracts In A Nice Breeze

We purchased a new 2017 Fleetwood Bounder 36H on July 1, 2017. 

The dealer service currently has it which marks a total of eight weeks in three visits.  The coach's workmanship and quality are the worst that I have seen.  One thing that seems to have no answer is the Carefree awning.  Great idea if it worked.  The structure and foundation of the system are so weak that the awning auto retracts in a nice breeze. 

Fleetwood made the decision to include the awning control in the Ilumiplex system eliminating the on/off switch supplied by Carefree.  I would be concerned anyway as the awning bounces up and down in just a nice breeze so if I did shut it off I fear that any small gust would break it right off. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  We will work through the rest of the poor design and quality issues but the awning concern seems to be hopeless. 

We have resigned to putting our lawn chairs under trees as the awning is useless.

tmk,

Our awning has auto-retract feature also.  I like this feature.  Fortunately for us the electricity is on it's own circuit.  Perhaps you or the dealer can separate the circuit.

Welcome to the Forum!

Blake

tm.  Welcome to the Forum!

The awning that I have is also a Carefree 14 foot and I agree with you, it does indeed retract in about 5mph breeze.  I over rode it, and shut off the automatic retract system 4 years ago!  If it's blowing below about 15mph, it does indeed bounce, but no harm done.  When it gets gusty or starts to bounce to much, I retract it.  Yes, there is a sensor on the roof right above the awning and it's wired in.  Very few times that I can sit out in the rain, since normally with rain you get wind.

You can do as Blake.  I did.

So..there is no wind speed sensor adjustment? I do not have this make or model on ours but I have a knob in the control box to adjust what wind speed I want it to come it at.

The awning auto retract is fine if you are in a place where there are no wind gusts.  If in a gusty location with the awning out...the auto retract senses the gust and starts the retraction.  However, it's already too late and your awning might already be blown over the coach or into the next county.

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have on the Carefree Mirage awning I have on my 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer.  It has fell on the back side of the awning.  The wind was not the problem.  This is the second time this has happened.  I climbed up a ladder and looked at it and I don't see what is happening.  It has been back to dealer three times with awning problems and I would attempt to make the repair myself if I knew what to do.  Anyone here with Mirage experience?

If your going to Gillette there will probably be Carefree techs there and you should be able to get it fixed correctly.