Fxjim

Central Florida To The Maine Coast

Question

Three coaches planing a trip from central Florida to the Maine Coast. We plan to leave Florida in late April. We all have no time restraints and plan stops in DC and the Amish country in Pennsylvania. Does anyone have any route suggestions or must see places to see or stay along the way?

4 answers to this question

Well, so much opportunity and such a broad request. 

What kinds of things are you into? 

History? Civil War? Revolutionary War? Beaches? Fishing? Seafood? Water front? Mountains? 

I always love driving up the coast. Take US 301 to north of Jacksonville. Then US 17 is a nice run along the coastal region to the Chesapeake Bay area. Coastal Georgia and South Carolina offer some great seafood and waterfront scenery. 

Savanna and Charleston are beautiful cities with a lot of things to see and do. Then there is the North Carolina with more wonderful beaches, Wilmington, the Outer Banks and Kitty Hawk. 

When you get to Northfolk, VA, you can take US 13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and up the Eastern Shore, the cut west on US 50 through Annapolis to Washington DC area. 

That is one of my favorite routes in the Eastern states. 

If your a history buff, Check out Williamsburg and Jamestown, Virginia and then Yorktown, where the Revolution was won. From there you can meander up the Civil War trail and vist various battle sites along the way. If that is your fancy, you can follow the trail through Gettysburg, and cap the tour with a visit to the Civil War museum in Harrisburg, PA.

That is just the start. so much to do. 

Fxjim, welcome to the forum. Hard to make recommendations with out knowing what you like. I will recommend you get a EZ-Pass and you make reservations at this RV park for your stay in DC. Cherry Hill Park, 9800 Cherry Hill Rd, College Park, MD 20740, cherryhillpark.com. 

If you go up I-95 detour to the Tappan Z bridge and don't go over the George Washington bridge. 

I was in that area last summer. Gettysburg and the Museum were great. We also stoped at the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, 4097 Albany Post Rd, Hyde Park, NY 12538, nps.gov, (845) 229-9115. While in Hyde Park we toured Top Cabin Roosevelt's get away place. We also toured the Vanderbilt Mansion that is just down the road. For lunch one day we stopped in at the CIA for lunch. That is the The Culinary Institute of America, 1946 Campus Dr, Hyde Park, NY 12538, ciachef.edu, (845) 452-9600. 

Some other places you might like. Mystic Seaport, Maritime Museum, 75 Greenmanville Ave, Mystic, CT 06355

mysticseaport.org, (860) 572-0711. They had the Mayflower II in dry dock doing some work, they also have an authentic Viking long ship, They have the The Charles W. Morgan the last of an American whaling fleet. and dozens of other interesting ships and exhibits. Just up the coast I like the Worden Pond Family Campground, 

416 Wordens Pond Rd, Wakefield, RI 02879, wordenpondfamilycampground.com, (401) 789-9113. Not fancy but it is about location.

Moody Beach RV Campground, 266 Post Rd, Wells, ME 04090, rvonthego.com, (207) 646-4586, is a little South of Kennebunkport.

South of Portland I like, Wild Duck Campground & RV Park, 39 Dunstan Landing Rd, Scarborough, ME 04074, wildduckcampground.com, (207) 883-4432.

If you are visiting Freeport Main with all the shopping and outlet stores including LL Bean, I stay at Blueberry Pond Campground, 218 Poland Range Rd, Pownal, ME 04069, blueberrycampground.com, (207) 688-442. You are really in the Main woods but not far from town.

Don't forget Arcadia National Park, Maine, nps.gov, (207) 288-3338. 

Bar Harbor is another great place and has some great food.

I don't know how far up the coast you are going but if you go to Eastport you will have gone as far down East as you can go. I would have your passports with you and go visit  Roosevelt Campobello International Park, 459 NB-774, Welshpool, NB E5E 1A4, Canada, fdr.net. 

When in Eastport We stay at Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 04631, eastportmaine.com, (207) 853-4471. When in Eastport look for Ray's Mustard.

If you have any questions just ask. By the way I recommend you make reservations.

LRAllen, Welcome to the forum. If you are a Civil war fan you had a good time.

Bill

Fxjim and LRAllen1.  Welcome to the Forum!

In a lot off places, once you leave Florida...Size does matter, especially on the outer banks and on up to Main!