stevegoldberg1@gmail.com

Idyllic settings for motorhomes

Question

How come in the magazines I see pictures of motorhomes, all by themselves -- no trailer parks -- in absolutley beautiful scenic serene settings, and when I can find something approaching these, there are "no tresspassing" signs, rangers, crowds, etc.? Where are these gorgeous places? I'm interested, both for visiting and for boondocking.

6 answers to this question

Indeed. My favorite RV destination magazine photo was the Class A with the slideout patio, camping beside the beautiful river. My first thoughts were how did it get there, how did they find a level spot, and where is everyone else? But it was a pretty picture.

Although I have many lovely pictures of places we have stopped, since we prefer full hookups, seldom have I been able to take a picture of my MH secluded in a campground.

We've found many of those places in our years of travel. My favorite was at the toe of the Matenuska Glacier in Alaska. There is a campground there but nothing sufficient for a motor home of our size so we requested and received permission to boondock on the overflow parking lot which overlooked the end of the glacier. We were a short 200 yards from the ice. We stayed at a number of other roadside stops in British Columbia, Northwest Territories and Alaska at which we were the only occupants. Occasionally we would share a roadside stop with another RV or two. We saw the northern lights one night at a roadside stop where no other lights could be seen anywhere on the horizon! We parked next to a river and enjoyed the sights of watching float planes land and take off. That night we discovered we had taken in several dozen mosquitoes and they feasted mightily on us during our sleep. We killed many but found many others in the covers the next morning!

gallery_583_47_7330.jpg

We were the only RV parked at a roadside stop in New York, Highway 132 overlooking the St. Lawrence Seaway. We BBQ'd and watched the sun set over Canada. A ship we had seen in the Eisenhower Lock earlier in the day passed by us as we ate dinner. We spent the night there without any other company.

gallery_583_47_16443.jpg

gallery_583_47_12017.jpg

These are just a few of the interesting places we have stopped. We've spent many a night in humble RV parks and in very nice RV parks. We enjoy meeting people and learning from them. We also enjoy those special moments when we are all alone in a natural area.

I think you are more apt to find them on the West coast than the East. Things are much more wide open out here. The west has hundreds of places to camp on BLM and Forest Service land. We frequently head over a nearby mountain pass to a spot within 1.5 hours of our home that is a beautiful place next to a rushing river in a beautiful meadow with lots of tall pines all around, and completely free. This particular area is loaded with what we know as "dispersed camping" which is areas where you can park that aren't an organized "campground" located on FS or BLM land. Frequently these areas have newer pit toilets available too. We have found great places to camp on BLM land from our home here in Washington to Utah, Oregon and Idaho.

You might also find Free Campsites.net useful too.