jlsparke

Solar Panel charging house batteries

Have a 2015 Bounder 35 K.  It has a small solar panel on top of one of the A/C units on Top Side of the coach.  It is my understanding that this panel is wired to provide a trickle type charge to those batteries.  My question is, how do I know that is what is happening?  How can I tell if that little bit of power is flowing to the batteries?

4 hours ago, jlsparke said:

Have a 2015 Bounder 35 K.  It has a small solar panel on top of one of the A/C units on Top Side of the coach.  It is my understanding that this panel is wired to provide a trickle type charge to those batteries.  My question is, how do I know that is what is happening?  How can I tell if that little bit of power is flowing to the batteries?

There is a red LED installed into the inside plastic cover in many cases. When the LED is powered - it stands out.(glows a bright red) The solar panels do get damaged, the 2 pin connectors can get unplugged, the wiring can get disconnected or damaged if the AC unit has been worked on and if the 3 Amp fuse)located in the BCC unit has blowen . The LED will not turn on.

Rich.

Is the Solar Panel and charger, for Chassis batteries or house?  is your coach stored outside and plugged in to shore power? When your on shore power is your coach set up to charge both start and house batteries?

Richard is right. The LED is in the cover of the front AC inside cover. I would look and see if the wires are connected as someone may have pulled them off when changing the AC filter. Well at least on my 2003 Bounder.

Bill

If I understand correctly, there is some sort of power on indicator light located inside of the front A/C unit in the coach.  That LED light will glow, if power is streaming to the house battery bank.  Am I correct on that?

Yes do you see the light? 

I don't remember what the output is supposed to be. It might be enough to help with the norml/natural power loss. I doubt it would charg much or replace parasitic drain. My panel left the roof before I bought the coach and I haven't bothered to replace it. I don't dry camp and I store the coach plugged in. Get yours working and give us some figures.

Bill

Working or not do you have that LED light in front a/c grill?

In any case that little solar panel is only a trickle charger, it can maintain your batteries if they are fully charged when you put it in storage and nothing is left on. It will not help you boondocking!