TimeTraveler

Air Pressure Doubler

1 hour ago, obedb said:

A local small fleet owner always replaced his steer tires without removing the rim. Swore by it! Had fifteen 18 wheelers.

Don't want to get Brett mad at me ,but I also carry a Porter-Cable 150 PSI  6 gallon compressor for tire inflation. However I never travel into areas with high ambient outside air moisture. 

I carry the portable compressor in the back of our Subaru Forester.

Be sure to use a air dryer on the air line.

Have a friend that worked in a number of professional shops. Even worked for one of the current candidates for PA Governor that owned a big local waste (garbage) hauler. He LAUGHS when air dryer proponents talk about shop air needing to be dried. Drain the big and I do mean biig air tank at the start of the day shift and get to work. He is also a trained diesel mechanic. He is a fountain of knowledge. Never had a question he could not answer.

In my case, if I need new steer tires, I would request that they be changed on the still bolted rims. My balancers would take care of things.

22 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

The reason I carry a spare is in the event I need it I have it.  Usually if you have a spare part with you it is never needed.  I've traveled over 400K miles in 42 years in about 10 different motorhomes and had to change about 12 tires.  I always carry a fire extinguisher but fortunately have never needed it.

Wow, almost averaging 10,000 miles a year for 42 years!  Have you been full timing most of those years?  I carry four fire extinguishers and haven't needed the either, but those are more important for saving life and property and don't take up as much room as a case of beer actually.   I may need a engine or tranny while out on the road but don't carry those with me.  My point was a 22.5 tire is very heavy and large so unless you are blowing one every year or so, why drag one around the let it age out?  If you didn't use it in 5 or 6 years it would probably be a throw away.

I'm pretty new to this DP stuff though.  Who knows maybe after a couple years I'll be trying to figure out how to store a spare.