dickandlois

Fuel cost averages over 10 year time line

There have been a number of questions regarding the cost of operating recreational vehicles regarding MPG. 

Ones driving habits have a big effect on cost. The size of the vehicle, engine size ,  road elevation change  and weather also can have an impact on MPG.

The BTU levels of the fuels remain fairly constant - with fuel blends having a relative small effect on MPG overall.

The attached link offers some information on fuels and geographic location on fuel cost. A long read in some regards, but informative.

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/alternative_fuel_price_report_jan_2018.pdf

Rich.

Electric powered vehicle information is not included, but has maintained the most consistent price line over the same time line and is the most cost efficient over all. The up front cost of the vehicles is on average higher then hydrocarbon fueled vehicles.  

Rich.

What do you do with the Ion Lithium battery when it's replacement time?  Bury it...not real environmentally friendly compared to re useable lead.  

32 minutes ago, manholt said:

I saw nothing in the Link that had to do with fuel.

Carl,  The only item covered is the cost averages, not the blends involved in each price.  What one drives and the way one drives - plus what is everyone's personal choice .

Like the oil question and anyway - That is kind of out of my pay scale as Brett often mentions.

Now if one of the members wants to go there OK, but I stretched Brett's limit on the oil question.

Rich.  

23 minutes ago, manholt said:

Rich...click on your own Link, it's all about a UFO and the Pentagon! :angry:

There is always a first time for something and SO you where correct !!!!

Think it is now correct. The one time I post something and not test the link and it got me. LOL

Rich.

LOL.  OK, I read it, but what I would like to see, is the actual cost per gallon, before all add on taxes. :o That would give a much clearer picture of a 10 year average!  I guess you need to be "Mike of Katy, TX." to get that. :P

1 hour ago, manholt said:

LOL.  OK, I read it, but what I would like to see, is the actual cost per gallon, before all add on taxes. :o That would give a much clearer picture of a 10 year average!  I guess you need to be "Mike of Katy, TX." to get that. :P

Carl, The information that he has offered has been very helpful and informative for sure. 

I was just looking to see what statistics where out there over the long hall.

Regarding the cost per state, that is tricky. No 2 states use the same formula to calculate the tax percentage. And then there are the pipeline and other delivery fees and who is adding / what percentage to the final price per gal. 

Rich.   

Interesting part for me.  No denial by any Gov. agency, including the Pentagon! :lol: A real UFO?  I doubt it, just another "Stealth" test, gone bad...not even Area 49 or 51 can cover this one at Sea!!! :P:wub:

Way off subject, but All I would like is the pattern on the water that was seen / 8 to 10 nice clear pictures should speak volumes on the issue> LOL  Water never lies.

Rich.

I know Brett, but I needed some fun as long as I started the mess.  Sure more fun then being on a medical marry go round. Oh boy - Oh Boy !!!!!!!

I am wondering if the engine in the UFO could be used in a RV?

See I am talking engins.  "More fun then being on a medical marry go round." I am sure I have been on that ride a lot more than I would like lately.:P

Bill

I have been experimenting with my MPG’s this year. I have found that if I manually shift when pulling a hill, DO NOT use cruise control unless flat and most of all KEEP THE BOOST GAUGE UNDER 15 psi my mpg’s are constantly 9.3-9.8mpg. I must watch that gauge especially if I do use cruise on flat land and if I start to loose power on a grade don’t let the engine push me, drop 1 gear manually.

im convinced whom ever programmed this coach between the engine brake and transmission shift points it was either a Friday before a holiday or someone drank or smoked their lunch :lol:.

My favorite mistake; you cannot use cruise control with the engine brake on. As soon as it’s not applying fuel your eating seat belt then it up shifts burries the boost gauge and takes off trying to get you back to the set speed. You allow that nonsense your MPG’s are in the 7-8 range.

One day I will bring a laptop home from work with Cummins Insight on it and go through this coach’s parameters.

The 12R tires also lowered my RPM’s a little on the highway :P oddly my speedometer is only 1-2 mph off.

Joe, do you have a GPS to check your speed with/against the speedometer? I am running 275 80 22.5 instead of the original 255 80 22.5 That gives me about  a +6% on the speedometer or it could be expressed as a 6% overdrive.

I will watch my boost next time out and see what it is doing. I have found that the lower my EGT temps the more efficient it is running. 

When on a hill I don't let it lug down. If you can't accelerate in a gear I drop gears till I can. Then hold the RPM above the peak torque speed, with my 5.9 I usually pull hills around 2200 RPM. Ushaley if it is a 6%+  hill it is outher traffic that will slow me rather than the hill. Last year I got 9.1 MPG overall. 

Bill

Bill,

The old ISB's will make one smile - our coach is 2 years older and the way it is loaded - runs at 10.5 to 11 Mpg(When I don't push it over 1900 RPM). If we run at 58 to 59 MPH it will run at 12+ but with any grades the transmission shift point drops out of 4th. at 50 mph and the MPG goes into the bucket -with a old MT-643 4 speed.  The engine will make 990 Ft. Lbs but the torque converter and ECM setup used, drops that to 660 ft Lbs. The maximum input for the transmission. The Load setup for the trans is 42,000 Lbs. and that is well above the the load of the coach.

I have to be leave that it was one of the last coaches with the transmission, because the wiring harness is set up for the touch button selector all so.

Had the valves reset at 80,000 and that gave me smoother operation and about .5 to .7 more in MPG.

Been adding cetane  to the fuel the last 18 months and the engine likes that to. Decided to add it after reading that the cetain levels where will below 40 quit often when measured at the pumps.

Rich.

Bill, GPS and the road construction speed signs, both show the same. I figured between the two I have the speed portion pretty close to being accurate. 

I do the same as bill, when approaching a hill, I manually drop down and just let the engine walk me up and over. I do this before it starts to lug itself. I also will turn on the economy button, just so I have full control of the shift points, not the coach. Once I loose that momentum it will recoup it, but for a expense! 

Rich those MPG’s are great! This old girl is just too heavy to expect much more out of. All and all I’m pretty happy with it’s MPG. The year this was built I had a couple year old Ford F-350 4x4 with a 351, that wouldn’t get anything over 6-7 mpg, so think about the size/weight different, let that sink in. No complaints here other than the factory programming.

Rich, I have been adding Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost and I can tell the engine runs smoother and is recommended by Cummins.

Joe, that is realey good mileage for that engine and weight. It gives me hope that I could do better  than the 5-7 MPG I read about in some of the bigger engins /coaches.

Bill

Bill, just topped off the tank for the western road trip on our way home today. Check this out;

34.81 gallons burned in 381 miles :D:D . I contribute most of these gains to the cold temperatures we have been experiencing. Colder air charge into the intake, better combustion. 

I have been really diligent with the a accelerator and watching my gauges. 

Something just dawned on me... Aquahot has only been on diesel for one cycle a month since it’s not used for hot water. That must consume more than I realized.

12 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I contribute most of these gains to the cold temperatures we have been experiencing. Colder air charge into the intake, better combustion. 

I have been really diligent with the a accelerator and watching my gauges. 

Actually, cold weather is NOT a friend to higher MPG.  Cold air is dense air and contributes to added aerodynamic drag-- a significant factor pushing that huge "box" down the road.

Yes, intake air temperatures will be a little cooler, but with the CAC (Charge Air Cooler) your engine will see pretty cool air all the time (compared to a turbo diesel without CAC).

I suspect we will have some pilots weight in.  I know that when it is very hot (desert SW in summer) that lift is enough less than they have to be concerned about take-off weight.

Cold air-- more molecules to create aerodynamic drag/lift.

Was in Anchorage last week.  Went by an incredible FedEx facility when we went from a viewing area of Denali (park on Cook Inlet) to the airport.  Denali was visible-- over 130 miles away. A rare site.  Doubt heat is too much of a factor there. 70 degrees F would be a real heat wave!

1 hour ago, wolfe10 said:

I suspect we will have some pilots weight in.  I know that when it is very hot (desert SW in summer) that lift is enough less than they have to be concerned about take-off weight.

Cold air-- more molecules to create aerodynamic drag/lift.

Was in Anchorage last week.  Went by an incredible FedEx facility when we went from a viewing area of Denali (park on Cook Inlet) to the airport.  Denali was visible-- over 130 miles away. A rare site.  Doubt heat is too much of a factor there. 70 degrees F would be a real heat wave!

I have a friend (ex boss) that was a flight instructor, I’ll call him tomorrow, bought time we catch up anyway.