Have any of you used Garmin In Reach for places where you had NO CELL PHONE coverage of any kind in an emergency to summons roadside assistance?

Haven't used the Garmin in Reach, but this type of situation is why we carry a hand-held CB in the car and have a CB mounted in the coach. If I'm going to really remote places I also take a hand-held amateur radio, but that requires a license. All that said, I'd be curious to hear what experience others have with the GIR technology, as it might be something worthwhile.

I did not know about this service before your question, have never used it but I am familiar with satellite communications. This plan is the least expensive that I have seen so far according to the current pricing. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/ The service consist of text messaging as opposed to voice technology which should be very efficient, and especially good for emergency situations. The use of cell towers is of no concern because with satellite technology the only requirement is that the antenna for the device will only need to be under the clear unobstructed sky, using the multiple satelites that is used for tracking your GPS. The satellite system does not know your position, it only feeds the programed map within the GPS device with necessary coordinates to guide you through the installed map within the unit, which in turn can transmit your position to the satellite. Text data does not require nearly as much power to transmit through the ionosphere as voice, meaning that the device can be much smaller and not require as much power as voice. So technically the system I believe will work well for emergency situations, or business that can afford to invest in a more foolproof type of communication. My thought is that I hope this technology will prove to be successful, and I am going to test drive for myself and my company. 

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I know that some phones will make a 911 calls when there is no service. I am not sure which service has it available.

Herman

Herman,

Hope you're doing well. 

Here's some information I'd like to share with you and others. 

According to my cell provider, Project Fi,   it's a federal law that any call place over the 911 Network must be routed through the closest provider... ALL cell phones have the capability of making 911 calls,  even though your cell phone provider says you have "NO SERVICE".. it's an emergency. 

The trouble is .. although it's usually Verizon and they seem to have the most towers everywhere.. there's still "DEAD SPOTS" and if there is NO towers anywhere in the area ,the call cannot go through.   

This is where the strength of the Iridium Network lies... a cache of satellites orbiting the earth.    Actually,  a lot of people may have  never heard of Iridium although they've been around for almost 20 years.   They are a worldwide company and the service is 100 percent coverage everywhere 24/7. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_Communications

Finally decided today to get one of these satellite communicators for safety.    They are NOT cell phones.. 

Although you can buy Iridium satellite phones and the air time is extremely expensive.    

These Garmin In Reach devices uses the same network as the Iridium voice network except they only allow you text message two way communication to GEOS. 

GEOS has also been appointed as the global 911 Responder for Globalstar SPOT (Satellite PersOnal Tracker)

In addition to the IERCC 911/SOS monitoring provided with your supported device (at no cost to you),  GEOS offers a Search and Rescue (SAR) Benefit to its members. This special Member Benefit is available for a very affordable annual fee and can insulate you from significant financial impact should you find yourself in an emergency situation most anywhere in the world.

Who Will Answer Your SOS? GEOS Will.

GEOS is the world leader in emergency response solutions and monitoring. They’ve supported rescues in more than 140 countries, saving many lives in the process. And they’re standing by 24/7/365 to respond to your SOS, track your device and notify the proper contacts and emergency responders in your area. Then, while help is on the way, GEOS will continue to text back and forth with you, providing updates and critical information until your situation is resolved.

http://www.geostravelsafety.com/contact-us.html

Even though I'm not wandering off into the wilderness..   there's still  plenty of places we go that have little or no cell coverage,  especially in National Parks and other remote scenic highways.. you just never know.   Last fall on our USA trip,  we had NO CELL service in Wyoming and South Dakota,  absolutely nothing. 

I hope this gives you and others a little more information.   I know that the FMCA has a very nice feature of sending out a rescue to people,  but, first, you need to contact someone before they can find you...    The feature of this particular service is they will know your exact location.     

I originally looked into getting OnStar.. but,  they will not provide service to anyone without an approved GM product.    

5 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Haven't used the Garmin in Reach, but this type of situation is why we carry a hand-held CB in the car and have a CB mounted in the coach. If I'm going to really remote places I also take a hand-held amateur radio, but that requires a license. All that said, I'd be curious to hear what experience others have with the GIR technology, as it might be something worthwhile.

Unfortunately,  CB radios have a lot of problems with terrain... read this below...   If you are relying on a CB Radio to help you get out of a emergency,  I would take this article very seriously.  

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18150035-cb-antenna-range-approximations

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

I did not know about this service before your question, have never used it but I am familiar with satellite communications. This plan is the least expensive that I have seen so far according to the current pricing. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/ The service consist of text messaging as opposed to voice technology which should be very efficient, and especially good for emergency situations. The use of cell towers is of no concern because with satellite technology the only requirement is that the antenna for the device will only need to be under the clear unobstructed sky, using the multiple satelites that is used for tracking your GPS. The satellite system does not know your position, it only feeds the programed map within the GPS device with necessary coordinates to guide you through the installed map within the unit, which in turn can transmit your position to the satellite. Text data does not require nearly as much power to transmit through the ionosphere as voice, meaning that the device can be much smaller and not require as much power as voice. So technically the system I believe will work well for emergency situations, or business that can afford to invest in a more foolproof type of communication. My thought is that I hope this technology will prove to be successful, and I am going to test drive for myself and my company. 

That is correct and it's been successful for 20 years...  glad to hear you're aware of the service.  

I discovered this evening that OnStar ,  the service I thought was global is NOT ....  

The OnStar service relied on CDMA mobile phone voiceand data communication, primarily via Verizon Wirelessin the United States and Bell Mobility in Canada, as well as location information using GPS technology. AT&Tannounced the contract to replace Verizon in 2013 based on 4G technology from 2014.

It is definitely not a satellite system and NOT worldwide.  

You can certainly purchase a satellite phone .. but, the airtime  and monthly cost is VERY EXPENSIVE. 

http://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/iridium-airtime.html

This text message service through Garmin In Reach is a most affordable emergency solution and handy anywhere you are. 

5 hours ago, MWeiner said:

Unfortunately,  CB radios have a lot of problems with terrain... read this below...   If you are relying on a CB Radio to help you get out of a emergency,  I would take this article very seriously.

Definitely a known issue, which is why I also have the amateur band hand held (and license). Still doesn't sound like it provides the level of coverage of the GIR system though. I'll have to explore it further as the budget allows.

Mark, great information!

Our coach has a CB in it, I only turn it on to hear whats going on ahead of us, otherwise its pretty useless, even more so in today's world. 

19 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Mark, great information!

Our coach has a CB in it, I only turn it on to hear whats going on ahead of us, otherwise its pretty useless, even more so in today's world. 

I've found that the CB appears to be totally useless as well. That is, until it's not.

I was driving back from the northern part of Wisconsin on Memorial Day. Traffic north of Madison was really bad with more than a few places of stop and go traffic on the freeway. It seemed that out of nowhere traffic went from 70mph to a dead stop in just a few feet. The truckers were dead silent when traffic was flowing. As soon as there were brake lights, however, there was a cacophony of 'brake check' warnings as truckers made each aware of the upcoming danger spots. At one point, I was able to listen as they warned each other of a slow moving 'old bus' in the right lane. That was us. It was kind of fun joking back with them as they passed.

My experience has shown that while there is little, if any, traffic on the CB truckers do still listen and will respond if there is an emergency or upcoming danger spot. I'll keep mine and keep it turned on just for such warnings.

50 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

My experience has shown that while there is little, if any, traffic on the CB truckers do still listen and will respond if there is an emergency or upcoming danger spot. I'll keep mine and keep it turned on just for such warnings.

YUP, that is my main reason for keeping it on. Sad to say but most new drivers refuse to use them due to stereotyping, I haven't figured that out yet but.....

9 hours ago, MWeiner said:

I originally looked into getting OnStar.. but,  they will not provide service to anyone without an approved GM product.

On Star has be available for nearly any car, GM or not, since around 2012. 

Just look at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=onstar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229173535328&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8564672849771563470&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027284&hvtargid=kwd-13485216&ref=pd_sl_3kqyrc5wzt_e_p37

Bill

Onstar is only good as long as you are within access to a cell phone tower, their coverage only seems better because they contract with several carriers to use their service, so no cell coverage by a contracted vendor then no service, as opposed to satelite coverage. If satelite coverage, just make sure that you are under the clear sky.

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bill,  

Well.. maybe you can purchase a mirror .. but,  you can't get the service..  they quietly discontinued this in 2014

See this article link below, 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/03/onstar-quietly-discontinues-fmv-program-exclusive/

Besides,   on further discovery,   OnStar is a basically another cell phone provider .... not a satellite service ,   SO,  it doesn't have worldwide 100 percent coverage. 

The Garmin In Reach is a more complete solution at less cost.    I'm only getting the "Safety" coverage for $14.95 per month... you can  turn the service on when you travel. There is a lower price of $11.95 per month if you choose to have it activated annually.     I'm going to think about both of these plans..   but,  again,  it's one of the services I hope I will never have to use...   kinda like "long term care insurance"..   I have that too.     

It's like this.. you want to go out in natural settings.. but,  you  don't want to me out there without a lifeline back to civilization,  that would be bad.. 

Or, maybe something happens and you need to be rescued ...  yeah,  that can happen.. just think medical emergency.    

The device has an SOS button.. press that and you're connected to the response center... they know exactly where you are anywhere on earth...  handy device....  

I could even take that on a trip to Europe. 

Shame this service wasn't around when the SS Minnow grounded, LOL.:rolleyes: Just little joke in case anyone remembers Gilligans Island, had it been, we would not have been able to see all those GOOFY episodes.:wub: Mark, I agree the Garmin service looks good for another lifeline.