marktaylorjets

Quik-fill battery electrolite system

Anyone have experience with the Quik-fill system?  We have a 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35M,  and the 4 house batteries are un-serviceable unless you remove the entire wiring harness to gain access to the caps.  They are also mounted underneath the entry steps, and it took me 10 minutes to just gain access.  Talked to Fleetwood CS, they said it is as designed.  (Tough luck in other words).  So, I am not going to disassemble the whole mess once a month.  The quik-fill system looks good on paper, looking for any advice!

Thank you in advance.

Make sure it has a shut off valve because if it is left open driving down the road causes the valves to seep and over fill the cells.  You might need to see the top of the batteries to know when the cells are full.  My recomendation would be to install AGM batteries so you don't have any maintenance.

Another sorry design flaw!  I have to with DD69.  If they are 6v, you could use them in a golf cart or sell them to a golfer! :(:)

NAPA (Western Auto) is where I bought 8, 6v house AGM's and 2, AGM chassis batteries in 2016.  Total for all 10, plus removal of my Acid batteries & installation of the new ones = $2, 100 that included tax!  Just make sure you get the same aH as the originals! 

The 2 chassis batts are SLA.  Can't mix AGM and SLA.  The Quik-fill system has a one way check valve, that only allows distilled water to pass into the cells.  Using a bulb type device, you pump water into the manifold.  They claim you cannot overfill the batts.  Once done, you pop the quick disconnect fitting and put a cap on it.

I've got the Trojan Hydrolink system installed on our house batteries - four L16 six volt batteries which are installed in a sealed/vented battery box deep in one of the bays. I installed the hose connection port in an easy-to-access spot, and to fill the batteries I just connect the hose with the hand pump bulb and fill. If you look in the lower left of the black battery box you'll see the connection port. Helps to purge the air out of the bulb pump and tube before connecting to the system so I don't have to pump the air through the battery tops.

The system seems to work well. There are floats on each of the cell caps which shut off flow to that cell when the proper level is reached. No leaks or problems yet. This is the second coach we've installed this system on.

My suggestion would be to make certain that the system you're getting has fill caps that match the batteries they'll be mounted to, and make sure that the caps are fully and properly seated on the top of the battery. On the Trojan system there is a distinct click heard when things are fully seated, but it's easy to miss it if not paying attention.

1974 GMC 4108a-125 43.JPG

That photo was really just to show the connection port. That black box with the two small round vents is the battery box. Here's a photo showing the watering system installed. It's kind of hard to see, but if you follow the black rubber tubing up the front of the left-hand battery you'll see the network of tubing running around the tops of the batteries. The Trojan system uses 3-gang covers which look just like the original covers other than the port for the Hydrolink system. This photo was taken before all the accessories and wiring was installed, but the Hydrolink system is in place.

For those curious, that white plastic thing coming out of the back/top of the battery box is the powered vent. It feeds into the PVC pipe and discharges out the floor of the bay. It's on a voltage-sensing switch and comes on whenever the battery voltage is at or above 13.2, which is the lowest voltage to be seen on my system when the charger is running. This way the power vent is on only when needed and doesn't drain the batteries when there is no charge coming in. It doesn't matter which of the three chargers is running (solar charge controller, 120v converter/charger, or 24v-to-12v charger), if the voltage is high enough to cause gassing the power vent is running. The voltage-sensing switch for the power vent can be seen in the earlier photo hiding behind the PVC pipe.

1523207283525.jpg

ProFill is easy to install, no appointments needed. Have been using one for at least 10 years in various RV’s with 4 golf carts.

no overfill, 5 minutes to fill, no acid on hands, clothes.  Can’t think of anything easier.

Caps are replaced with fill system caps and manifold.