wood6406

Million Dollar Highway

Question

We have a 40ft American Eagle towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee and are wondering about the drive from Ouray, CO to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway.  We live in Colorado and are used to mountain passes but have heard we might want to avoid this one.  Thoughts?

4 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, wood6406 said:

We have a 40ft American Eagle towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee and are wondering about the drive from Ouray, CO to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway.  We live in Colorado and are used to mountain passes but have heard we might want to avoid this one.  Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum.  Best advice I can give you get close and drive it with your Jeep Grand Cherokee as I don't know your skill or comfort level. It has be a while since I have driven it and that was in the toad. 

Bill

Safe mountain driving depends on TWO things:

The rig. Assume you have an engine compression brake.

The driver's expertise in mountain driving.

Retired Trucker/ The first 8 or so miles southbound from Ouray is a very busy stretch. The curves are tight and the drop offs are on the southbound side. No guard rails. No room for them. Tell your wife not to look. The northbound traffic is up against cliff sides so they can't give up much of their turf. After that, the ride is beautiful to Silverton and on to Durango. Luckily, drivers in both directions recognize  the need to drive sensibly. Been over the stretch from Ouray to Durango a number of times in a gas powered coach and our last trip with a 40 foot Phaeton with an exhaust brake.. Even did it a time or two in a tractor trailer. They are legal but discouraged by the authorities.

You have experience in Colorado and that puts you ahead of the game. I would still run it either way. It is a major beautiful ride, but if you doubt your skill, do what  Bill suggested. There is a state campground not far north of Ridgway, that as government campgrounds go, is above average. You could venture south from there.  

Silverton Summit RV  in Silverton has a nice collection of large high end coaches checked in there. Very nearby the approach of of the steam trains from Durango. I guess somebody other than me is not afraid of US550. I stopped by there in our road. Very nice folks. If I make it back there , I will sign in