f351235

New England snow & ice corrosives

Are New England road maintenance departments still using road salt or other corrosives for snow and ice, you know, the ones that eat up the undersides of motor vehicles?

And some are combining the salt with sand or other abrasives, which acts like a sandblaster to remove the paint. Guess that's to give the salt a better shot at rotting out the metal.

We generally park our coach during the salt season here in Wisconsin. By the end of some winters everything even near the roads is covered with a fine white dust from all the salt put down. In recent years they've cut back somewhat due to budget reductions.

NY State sets the standard.  Taxpayers want the roads to be wet regardless of the temps. Have slipped and slideded across PA and entered NY to wet roads. The much smaller states follow suit. As Richard has noted park it. Heading south for the winter? Enjoy Thanksgiving and get moving or have your turkey dinner at Cracker Barrell well below the snow. Come back north after there is no danger of Winter. Could always tell a Mack Truck that lived it's life in NY. A rust bucket is applicable.

I don't drive where there is salt on the road....that means it really cold and real nasty weather, I don't go to those places.

Connecticut is one of the top two states for corrosives.   DOT says  it up to us to keep the undercarriage washed.  Thankfully I don't drive the motor home in winter here.  Our three plow trucks require brake line inspections every year we do find coating the undercarriages with Fluid Film helps.  Wonder why so many people are leaving CT Taxes and this?