bobgdesign

12v Flourescent lighting upgrade

I recently purchased a 2007 Dutch Star Motorhome. One of the fluorescent light fixtures was not working.  I purchased some 12V automotive led light strips at Walmart. I gutted the light fixture and replaced the bulbs with the led light strips. I removed the circuit board and bulb sockets from the fixture. I installed the led strips in the location of the bulbs. The result is bright white LED lighting. The strips come with 3m backing which adheres to the fixture. The package comes with two 12 inch strips which perfectly replace the 12 inch bulbs. The cost was about $20 per fixture.

You can purchase the LEDs by the roll at Amzon and cut it to length to meet your needs. It's the same type you described with 3M tape. They also have the connectors to connect the LED strips to the existing switch.  I had 12 of the 2 tube florescent lights, I replaces all of the for less than $30, I put 4 full length strips in each fixture.

Jim

bobgdesige,  Welcome to the FMCA Forum ! 

Thanks for the information. Can not say I have seen them at our locale Walmart.  There is a family run store in the area that is a cross between an Army surplus and Radio Shack. Every tinker needs a location to find items to play with.

Rich.

You guys certainly are a lot smarter than I am on this score. I went down to HD and bought a nice LED fixture and installed it after removing the old florescent fixture, seems like it was 80 bucks...what is wrong with this picture. 

😩

For anyone with sensitive electronic equipment (like amateur radios) keep in mind that some LED fixtures can cause unwanted interference. Usually not an issue, but if you install LED lighting and suddenly start having static or other unusual noise coming from a radio or television it might be the lighting.

Apparently not all manufacturers have fully read up on proper shielding.

Bill, I removed all fluorescent lights from our coach due to multiple ballast issues causing RF interference. Two tubes replaced with one LED strip were significantly brighter in LED. I bought all of it from this company. I don’t remember the finial price but since I was doing a full interior conversion he cut me a good deal. It ended up being cheaper that the Chinese junk available on line.

I even swapped out the dimmable puck lights to LED. His lights are available in different color temperature ranges. The ones in the galley area are brighter than the rest of the coach and the color isn’t that annoying bright white you get with most LED’s. It’s more of a natural color.

https://www.cabinbright.com/

7CE08E11-2697-4E81-B434-3DDC46386F44.jpeg

165EC520-2973-476E-A430-5E56429C87F8.jpeg