Jump to content
Chrisk22

Towing A lifted 2012 jeep wrangler With 40 inch tires

Recommended Posts

We currently have a 2019 Tiffin 33aa. We have a price from La mesa Rv to install a blue ox and braking system.I have heard different ideas about towing the jeep. First it has a 5 inch lift and 40 inch tires. It is big.Second it has a PSC hydraulic steering system on it to steer the big tires. The jeep also has a 6.4 hemi conversion.I am questioning it myself , and even brought it down to La Mesa for them to look at. They said it could be done.I have never seen a lifted jeep being flat towed. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will also tell you your 1/2 ton Ford F150 will easily pull that 30FT 5th wheel.  

I sometimes tow my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift and 33" tires with no issues. You're towing something much higher/taller and much heavier for sure. I would also be concerned about exceeding the weight limitations. What does that Jeep weigh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disregard the hitch rating and abide by the GCWR.   You need to load the coach with passengers, full fuel, food, clothing, etc just as if you were leaving on a trip, hook up the Jeep and go weight the complete unit to make sure you're not exceeding your GCWR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift & 35" tires, 2 door = 4,360 pounds.  Tow's good 4 down!  If I had yours, it would be on a trailer!!!  You left a lot out about the Jeep...I'll guess that it's a AEV conversion on a Rubicon 4 door, if so, it will come in at 6,300+/- pounds!  I only wonder, why 40" tires?  AEV used 37" tires on 18" rims.  

Hope you have several years of experience in off road driving with non stock engines!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chrisk22 said:

They said it could be done.I have never seen a lifted jeep being flat towed. Any thoughts?

Two things come to mind,

  1. hydraulic steering conversion by PSC, i'd cal them and ask if it will death wobble when flat towed or bind up.
  2. I personally would go with a system like M&G for brakes. https://m-gengineering.com/ You will want fully proportional and the optional emergency breakaway kit. 

Manual or Automatic transmission, shift the transfer case to neutral, shifter in gear (I used 4th with our manual trans Jeep) or park, if an automatic. 

I have seen many lifted jeeps flat towed, we had an 03 with a 3" and 35" tires. It actually towed better lifted than when it was stock, just make sure the tow bar is level. I would look into a Roadmaster all terrain tow bar. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, elkhartjim said:

They will also tell you your 1/2 ton Ford F150 will easily pull that 30FT 5th wheel.  

I sometimes tow my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift and 33" tires with no issues. You're towing something much higher/taller and much heavier for sure. I would also be concerned about exceeding the weight limitations. What does that Jeep weigh?

5500 pounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, manholt said:

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift & 35" tires, 2 door = 4,360 pounds.  Tow's good 4 down!  If I had yours, it would be on a trailer!!!  You left a lot out about the Jeep...I'll guess that it's a AEV conversion on a Rubicon 4 door, if so, it will come in at 6,300+/- pounds!  I only wonder, why 40" tires?  AEV used 37" tires on 18" rims.  

Hope you have several years of experience in off road driving with non stock engines!!!

Offroad for many years. I have 4 jeeps as of now. 2012 6,4 hemi. 2- 2018 JLs one is mine and one is wifes.Mine is being completed in Florida right now. It is in no way stock now. Dynatrac pro rock 60 axles front and rear.King coil overs .Bead locks etc........It is being finished off with long arms front and rear (the first to be done as of now for 2 door) and 500 hp ls3 . The company is Bruiser conversions.The other is a 77 jeep wagoneer being restored. I have had at least a dozen or more Rubicons and many many other Raptors etc.My problem is i do not have alot of RV experience and flat towing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, manholt said:

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 3" lift & 35" tires, 2 door = 4,360 pounds.  Tow's good 4 down!  If I had yours, it would be on a trailer!!!  You left a lot out about the Jeep...I'll guess that it's a AEV conversion on a Rubicon 4 door, if so, it will come in at 6,300+/- pounds!  I only wonder, why 40" tires?  AEV used 37" tires on 18" rims.  

Hope you have several years of experience in off road driving with non stock engines!!!

I bought the jeep 2012 6.4 hemi , when my 2 door was being done at total auto pros. They did most of the work. Then the ls swap is being done in florida. Total auto only does AEV swaps. The guy i bought it from has 12 jeeps and all aevs. He never takes them off road. He always request gusseting the axles and installing 40s. To be honest the jeep drives on the road and offraod better than any jeep i have ever had. It also has hydrolic steering. It makes it handle like a sports car. I am going to get the 2012 jeep weighed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are seriously into a Hobby! :D  I have heard of Bruiser & Total Auto Pros, they are reputable! :P  Good idea on weight, just have it loaded as normal.  How many gal of  fuel?  I have 15, but will take it out and retro fit with 26 when we get home!  I need new tires, so I'm going back to 34" NITTO's, handles a lot better off road.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chrisk22 said:

Offroad for many years. I have 4 jeeps as of now. 2012 6,4 hemi. 2- 2018 JLs one is mine and one is wifes.Mine is being completed in Florida right now. It is in no way stock now. Dynatrac pro rock 60 axles front and rear.King coil overs .Bead locks etc........It is being finished off with long arms front and rear (the first to be done as of now for 2 door) and 500 hp ls3 . The company is Bruiser conversions.The other is a 77 jeep wagoneer being restored. I have had at least a dozen or more Rubicons and many many other Raptors etc.My problem is i do not have alot of RV experience and flat towing. 

Now I know where all the Rubicon’s went :D. I have been hunting a 05-06 manual, half door, can’t find one! 

Flat towing is a piece of cake with a wrangler. Carl and I both run the M&G brake system which is very easy to connect before departure. The trick to flat towing is a high quality tow bar that must be level to the vehicle, a good brake system with an emergency breakaway. Otherwise you don’t know it’s back there. 

On a wrangler, transmission in park or a forward gear (if manual) transfer case in neutral, depending on the year you might have to turn the ignition one click forward to disengage the steering wheel lock. Our 2014 doesn’t have the lock, so the key comes out with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manholt said:

You are seriously into a Hobby! :D  I have heard of Bruiser & Total Auto Pros, they are reputable! :P  Good idea on weight, just have it loaded as normal.  How many gal of  fuel?  I have 15, but will take it out and retro fit with 26 when we get home!  I need new tires, so I'm going back to 34" NITTO's, handles a lot better off road.  

The 2012 has the original  gas tank.22.5 gallon tank.The 2 door is having a gas tank being made custom right now due to long arms being installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, check out Collins Bros. Jeep in Wylie, Texas. Owned by Dennis Collins that you may have seen on the TV show "Fast & Loud.

collinsbrosjeep.com                           800-699-JEEP(5337)

Dennis has Jeeps of all years, sizes and colors. Heck you might even have to come to Texas to get one.

Carl would have a field day visiting his store and vehicles.

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, I looked at their whole inventory!  Not a 05-6 Rubicon 2 dr in the bunch...call them, they might find you one!  

Why specifically a 05-6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly Blue Book, has one 2005 near Philly, PA.  Can't get any more info other than it's got 115k miles and $19,000+!

Byers Chevy in Grove City, has one 2006!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...