dlmead@earthlink.net

Battery Disconnect Switch

Hello I need your help in troubleshooting my 2007 Fleetwood Terra Auxillary disconnect switch.

Today I went to the RV storage to start my Generator to charge up house batteries after 2 months storage.

The Generator did work and ran for one hour before I put in storage.

Today I went to start Generator but no battery voltage. I installed new rocker auxiliary switch but still I do not hear the solenoid clicks. I jumped the solenoid with a piece of wire and heard the solenoid clicking. I checked for 12v power to solenoid terminal when switch is pushed but no power to solenoid.The switch does have power at the six pin terminals. I noticed that the control wire for the solenoid to operate in coming off the electronic control board. Also I checked all fuses on. board. Could I have a bad control board? Sorry for the long explanation but  hoping somebody can help me troubleshoot this problem. Note: When I jump start the Generator with my car batteries the house batteries are charging and the12 volt is at the solenoid.This is driving me nuts😬

JIT10, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The one item to check - even though the generator started 24 hrs. ago, is the connections at the batteries in the coach.

Not knowing exactly what point you used to jump start the genset with the car battery !  At the generator battery connections or in the battery bay of the coach?

Rich. 

JIT10.  Welcome!

Do you have voltage at any battery, water level in batteries, any corrosion on terminals and all connections are tight?  How about connection at Genny?

6 hours ago, DickandLois said:

JIT10, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The one item to check - even tough the generator started 24 hrs. ago, is the connections at the batteries in the coach.

Not knowing exactly what point you used to jump start the genset with the car battery !  At the generator battery connections or in the battery bay of the coach?

Rich. 

I jumped start it at the Generator lug.

4 hours ago, manholt said:

JIT10.  Welcome!

Do you have voltage at any battery, water level in batteries, any corrosion on terminals and all connections are tight?  How about connection at Genny?

New batteries about 2 months old  and 12 volt.

No 12 voltage at Generator 

Generator will start with my car batteries jump start.

1 hour ago, JIT10@AOL.COM said:

New batteries about 2 months old  and 12 volt.

No 12 voltage at Generator 

Generator will start with my car batteries jump start.

Key question, do you have 12V at the batteries? New batteries can go dead in a short time if there is any parasitic load. 

JIT, check the voltage difference across the master battery switch's while someone is cranking or attempting to start the generator. After move onto the grounds, clean and re-secure that to the frame.

Thanks for all your input...I called Fleetwood and they think it is the solenoid.

When I used a jumper wire from Chassis Terminal Postive or Coach Battery Terminal to the Generator terminal that are located on the side of the Battery Control  Center —Gas F73-1020 Generator will start and coach lights works.

i know that I will not be able to use the auxiliary disconnect switch.

Has anyone done this ? 

7 hours ago, JIT10@AOL.COM said:

Thanks for all your input...I called Fleetwood and they think it is the solenoid.

When I used a jumper wire from Chassis Terminal Postive or Coach Battery Terminal to the Generator terminal that are located on the side of the Battery Control  Center —Gas F73-1020 Generator will start and coach lights works.

i know that I will not be able to use the auxiliary disconnect switch.

Has anyone done this ? 

The numbers you posted- F73-1020 is for the BCC.

Could you post the make and model of the generator for the group?

The electrical wiring and control modules change and with the proper information, it might be easier to offer some better information.

Rich.

On 11/21/2017 at 4:18 PM, JIT10@AOL.COM said:

Onan 5500 Generator 

JIT, These are the different models of some of the Onan 5000 size. Having mentioned that with the information and year of the coach. I'm leaning towards the Marquis Gold series.

If you can clarify things with the Onan Series and model numbers. There are also 5000 watt model' s with model numbers ending in BGA and Ckk  

This link might be of some help.

https://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

An afterthought - Most RV generators use the Chassis batteries to start, there are exceptions where the coach / house batteries are used. Think the builders are thinking it more likely to discharge the coach batteries then the chassis battery bank. 

The BCC control unit information that I have located is Attached - Note ! the address is the same as the OEM supplier, but it appears that it is now referenced  as(Thor) T-1020.  There is no wiring in the BCC related to the Generator start circuit, So it looks like the Chassis batteries supply the 12 volts.

TH-1020 Troubleshooting guide.pdf

Fleetwood link to some OEM BCC parts

http://fwc.fleetwoodrv.com/plant91Files/Word Documents/Battery Controlspage2.htm