starmack2001

Cummins oil leak, electrical discharge

I have a 2004 Monaco (purchased in 2013) with a 400 ISL cummins, with 101,000 mile. Side radiator, side fan, so no obstruction between the motor and the rv rear engine cover.   The engine or something has started leaking oil and it is blowing out the back and onto my tow vehicle. I took it to a diesel shop and they said that the pan gasket was leaking. So, they replaced it. Last trip was in July 2019, 2,000 mile round trip, it was still showing signs of oil from somewhere plus another substance that looks like dirt / ground up rubber/ road tar mixed in with the oil. still blowing out of the back of the rv. No idea what it is. Before the first oil leak showed up, I had no debris pattern on the back of the rv at all. Also, have another issue. Starter went out. Replaced the starter and now the engine battery runs down in 4-5 days. Didn't happen before the starter replacement, but, we also replaced a burned pc board  that has the rear maintenance / start / run switches on it. It's located in the engine compartment in  panel box  along with some other engine control boards. We've had this rv for 6 years, 2nd owner and it's actually the first that we've ever had to spend any serious maintenance money on. It's our 2nd Monaco Dynasty. We've owned rvs since 1991.

42 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

Have the engine steam cleaned and then drive it a few miles and you should be able to see where the oil is coming from.

Been wondering if it might be a fuel leak.

Found this post on another forum thought it might be relavent.

Originally posted by BUCKAROO:
LAST WEEK ON OUR WAY TO PERRY GA. FOR THE RALLY OUR HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE BROKE. DIESEL FUEL ALL OF OUR TOW VECHICLE. DIESEL FUEL EVERY WHERE IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT, SMOKE COMING OFF TOP OF ENGINE. WE ARE GLAD THERE WASN'T A FIRE. HAD TO BE TOWED TO A CUMMINGS DEALER THEY KNEW RIGHT A WAY WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. IF YOU HAVE A CUMMINGS 400 DON'T WAIT, CALL A CUMMINGS DEALER AND HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR VIN NUMBER TO SEE IF YOU IN THE RANGE FOR THE FIX, IF YOU ARE GET IT DONE. BROKE DOWN BESIDE THE ROAD ISN'T FUN. I WISHED THEY WOULD HAVE NOTIFIED US INSTEAD OF US HAVING TO NOTIFIED THEM. THE CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS #0805

----------------------------------------------

We have tried to get the message out here; sorry you didn't see it. Cummins is awaiting a list of owners of ISL 400's from OEM's so they can notify but as stated earlier no need to wait. To anyone reading this for first time call Cummins distributor and if on list get it in and fixed. The fix is replacement of existing fuel line and addition of new bracket.

Rich.

The Electrical issue might be something wired wrong when the fuse box was replaced, If I'm reading the  OP correctly .Something drawing a higher then original current or current when it should not be, only load might be required when the engine is running ?

On 8/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, dickandlois said:

Been wondering if it might be a fuel leak.

Found this post on another forum thought it might be relavent.

Originally posted by BUCKAROO:
LAST WEEK ON OUR WAY TO PERRY GA. FOR THE RALLY OUR HIGH PRESSURE FUEL LINE BROKE. DIESEL FUEL ALL OF OUR TOW VECHICLE. DIESEL FUEL EVERY WHERE IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT, SMOKE COMING OFF TOP OF ENGINE. WE ARE GLAD THERE WASN'T A FIRE. HAD TO BE TOWED TO A CUMMINGS DEALER THEY KNEW RIGHT A WAY WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. IF YOU HAVE A CUMMINGS 400 DON'T WAIT, CALL A CUMMINGS DEALER AND HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR VIN NUMBER TO SEE IF YOU IN THE RANGE FOR THE FIX, IF YOU ARE GET IT DONE. BROKE DOWN BESIDE THE ROAD ISN'T FUN. I WISHED THEY WOULD HAVE NOTIFIED US INSTEAD OF US HAVING TO NOTIFIED THEM. THE CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS #0805

----------------------------------------------

We have tried to get the message out here; sorry you didn't see it. Cummins is awaiting a list of owners of ISL 400's from OEM's so they can notify but as stated earlier no need to wait. To anyone reading this for first time call Cummins distributor and if on list get it in and fixed. The fix is replacement of existing fuel line and addition of new bracket.

Rich.

The Electrical issue might be something wired wrong when the fuse box was replaced, If I'm reading the  OP correctly .Something drawing a higher then original current or current when it should not be, only load might be required when the engine is running ?

Whoa,  I'm reviving this post because I have an 05 Cummings ISL... was this a recall item ?