Sign in to follow this  
eric@babin.com

ONAN 10K RV QD - CODE 27

Equipment: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD / Onan 10,000 RV QD w/1,600 hours.

Issue: Boondocking for extended period on generator.... generator simply shut down during long term operation.  Tried to restart, generator turned over, ran for about 1 second.  Code indicated 27 - PMA Failure  (You can count the blinks on the generator or start button, or look at remote panel with LCD read-out)

Made appointment with Cummins Tampa.

Their original diagnosis was bad "brush block".  They received part, and replaced brush block (and fuel filter at my request since they were already in there).  Upon starting after those replaced generator was still shutting down for code 27.  

Guess what.... once they opened it up they saw a broken wire!   Fixed wire, and generator ran fine..... BUT...… we aren't done yet..... When I picked up the coach I started generator and it ran fine..... I assumed we're good to go.... I didn't go back to panel to verify coach was receiving power..... got back to RV park.... for some reason, I decided to check that.... NOPE.... no power making it in to the coach..... dang it!  

Drive 45 minutes back to Cummins Tampa..... they take a look.... oh, a "loose wire".  They tightened that up and I'm back on the road with gen-power. 

Hey.... it works, so I'm happy.  Also, even though from what I can tell, the brush block didn't need to be replaced, I'm told they should be checked at 2,000 hours.... I was at 1,600... so..... hey, I've got new brushes!

Moral to the end of the story.... don't drive off until you are sure it works in every way it should!  

See pictures for everything up to the loose wire since they wrote no ticket for that.....

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

Eric.      Their original diagnosis was bad "brush block".  They received part, and replaced brush block (and fuel filter at my request since they were already in there).  Upon starting after those replaced generator was still shutting down for code 27.  

The Brush assembly was billed out at 118.94. got a picture of the part, The part is good for around 5 years, but that is dependent on the hour meter running time and the load that is always variable over time. So the time line looks about right regarding the replacement.  The other item that one needs to keep in mind is the water pump  drive belt that is listed to be changed  at each 1000 hr interval. 

Return for additional work on loose connections is one of those items in the always check the small details list.

Rich.

Eric, I did not see the 10% off on parts.  Cummins Club is free, I re up each time I go in for work & get my 10% off.