mike-ward

Android Touch Screen Head Unit Recommendations/Experiences

My 2017 Newmar Ventana has what has to be the most annoying head unit (dash radio) in the history of RV's. It flashes different colors constantly and has a strange button layout (to power it down you hold the select button for a few seconds, seriously). So I'm thinking I might replace it with one of those 2 DIN Android touch screen head units. Anyone care to share their experiences/recommendations?

Mike, You will get other reply's, But what unit requirements are required, physical size, will it fit into the space you want to install it, what interface connections are required / will it interface with existing / coach systems. Who is the service provider and software provider?

Not all companies are created equally regarding service. Do they just exchange problem units or require them to be shipped to a service location?

Does changing items out affect any warranties? 

Sure you do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Rich.  

Rich,

I simply leave the current unit off because it annoys me so much. Pretty much anything short of a hole in the dash will be better. :)

The dash opening is 2 DIN. 

From what I've seen on Amazon, most of these units have individual connections, which I suspect is how the current unit is hooked up. RV's are typically do not have standard plugs and wire harnesses like the automotive industry.

Also, the Android head units I've seen on Amazon are from $200 to $300. Cheap enough to just replace if it dies.

Mike, I purchased a replacement dash radio that flashed colors just like yours. Have you checked to see if the flashing can be turned off in the set-up options? I was able to turn off the flashing on my radio.

Richard

Richard,

The flashing colors can be reduced to one flashing color but it's like a 10 button sequence. I installed a house shut off switch to keep my house batteries from draining while parked. That resets the head unit which means doing the 10 button sequence which I can never remember. Plus as I mentioned, the dang interface is just odd. It's gotta go!

Mike, my daughter’s Jeep had an aftermarket radio in it at the time of purchase. Did the same thing. It would also dim and brighten while driving, it would literally blind you when it switched to bright yellow. Needless to say I pulled it and replaced with the factory radio I found used. I feel you pain and fully understand why you want it gone!

There are backup battery packs that can be added to radio or any device that you would like to not lose its memory during battery power disconnections, all that is needed is a diode in the feed to isolate so that it will not backfeed to other devices. Here uis one listed on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Memory-Data-Saver-Automotive-Emergency-Power-Supply-Cable-Battery-Cable-OBD/283750821464?hash=item4210ddee58:g:l5gAAOSwFwNeJcdX