jleamont

1958 Citroen 55U

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was interesting enough to share. I would love to see some interior photos.

2B0248C4-7473-47EE-9D45-5BDDCBF1F495.jpeg

9BBD420B-2B8F-4BC0-9FBA-EFD662DE0FC7.jpeg

0A779BC7-7482-4E6D-AC1C-2FDB1C4EE2B4.jpeg

Joe, I saw it too...gutted out, it will take deep pockets to restore it...what a ride that would be!  

Seeing the doors on both the cab and trailer on the passenger's side, it must be a left hand drive.

Talk about a blank canvas. 500 ISM, 4000 Allison and a killer paint job and oh what you could do with the interior. But I will quote Car',"deep pockets and what a ride that would be!"

Joe, have you put in a bid on it? :rolleyes:

Herman

10 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe, have you put in a bid on it?

No way! I am past the point of projects in my life. 

The truck is a right hand drive Citroen 55U Truck, the trailer was custom built for a French Circus, by Pinder another French company!  Not been able to come up with engine or tranny info, but guessing it was gas!  The roads in France was primarily dirt, even in Paris!  

Citroen UK had diesel engine trucks in 1936...Citroen cars in France had diesel, but no trucks, from 1909-1976.

Carl, here is a picture of a Citroen 55U owner by Pinder Circus.

My mistake of even asking whether it was right or left hand drive. I was thinking British. As can be seen in the picture it is a left hand drive.  

Herman

citroen_55u_cirque_pinder_1.jpg

Leave it to the French . . . they definitely think differently about automotive engineering than we do.  I once owned a 1968 ID19.  The most incredible car I've ever had, and I'd still have it if there had been good service where I lived and I'd had the money to maintain it.

UH, there is an auction in Paris , Fr., coming up and they have one in mint condition.  Estimated value is 8,000 to 12,000 EU.  No Reserve.

For a couple years I owned a 1968 Citroen ID19, their basic, garden-variety sedan.  Support in the US was almost nonexistent even then, in the early 1970s.  I shudder to think about trying to maintain one of those creatures outside of Europe.  

When we were in Hutchinson a few months ago there was a group of Big Rigs there. They were all Volvos, Peterbuilts, Freight Liner and others. They were all pulling big and I mean BIG 5th wheels. They had some really nice looking rigs. Some were members of FMCA and some weren't. That is why they were not interested in coming into FMCA as a chapter.

Herman