We are on our first long term mooch docking adventure.  We are on battery power. We would like to be able to have the generator Auto Start as required, but it does not happen. 

Now for the details. We are in a 2007 Newmar Dutch Star 4307.  We have an Onan 8k generator and a Xantrex inverter with a Xantrex RC/RG control panel. I have been working with Xantrex technical support and we have determined that the wiring is correct.  We went to the inverter itself and tested the wiring circuit to the generator start switch. No surprise, it did not work.  The tech determined that either the inline fuse(s) are bad or the switch is. It is probably not the switch since the generator will start from the inside dash switch.  So the hunt for the fuse(s) has begun.

The tech at Xantrex rightfully could not tell me where the fuses are located. I then called Newmar customer service and talked to several very helpful techs. They tried to research the location of the fuses with the available wiring diagrams they could find for 2007 and surrounding years. Unfortunately, they said that in the "old days" Newmar did not do as good as they do today with documentation. They have been unable to help me locate the fuse(s).

If anyone has had a similar experience with a older Newmar Dutch Star or any insight  to the location of the fuses, we would be appreciative.

Supersailor, Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure what manuals you have, but this link is for the remote start software, start and trouble shooting for auto start system. RC /RG control panel

Pages 17 to 20 might be a good starting point to check the remotes software setup parameters are correct.

The auto start software will default to manual,  if the system does not start after 2 or 3 tries. The system may need to be reprogrammed.

Page 54 of the owners inverter /charger manual covers trouble shooting.  Other pages offer information regarding wire terminals and connections for both Onan and Generic  are in the system wiring. This information is in a different manual.

There are fuses in the start circuit, but you mentioned that it starts manually.

Has the auto start ever worked? 

Rich.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/RV-Series-GS/RVSeries_2012-2512-3012-GS_Owners_Manual(975-0209-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

Welcome to the Forum also and welcome home Shipmate.

Have you looked to see if the Generator is wire to the inverter? I may not have been connected when the coach was built.

Herman

I had a similar issue with the 7 way plug for trailer lights on my 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304.  The diagram said there was a fuse, but we could not find the location.  I ended up hiring a auto repair guy who said he specialized in electronics.  It took him 3 hours to find the fuse was right on the top of the house batteries.  It was a burned out in line fuse that was right on top of the House batteries.  Strange place for it so I never looked there.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:37 AM, Supersailor said:

Unfortunately, they said that in the "old days" Newmar did not do as good as they do today with documentation. They have been unable to help me locate the fuse(s).

Supersailor, welcome to the  forum. I have been learning all about my new to me 2008 Newmar MADP and have talked to Newmar tech support several times to.  They sent me all the wiring blueprints and they are just cartoons. I don't know about the old days  but they are still not so good at having any print showing how anything was made, located or routed.

One thing you might find useful is I have the Operator's  Manual for the auto start and it shows the fuse or a fuse (5 amp in line) on the wire connecting to terminal 3 of the AGS Controller. It shows the fuse next to the + terminal of battery. This is on page 8. Who knows where it realey is but I would start looking near the batteries.

Good luck and let us know where it is when you find it.

Bill