rayin

UPDATE: our planned trip to Mayo Clinic

Turned out the steps not working was a simple fix. I wiggled the yellow step wire on the ignition switch and the steps immediately  retracted and worked flawlessly since. Got 300 miles from home, overnighted in a CG. Next morning engine started normally, but shut down within one second. Three warning lights on display panel, check engine, stop engine, and a (red gear-shaped light???). Called emergency road service, they said the only one they could locate was Loves Truck Stop road service. Their man arrived and immediately said  he can read the codes but Loves does not work on motor homes; he could not even connect with the ECM. I called another mobile service myself, he could not connect with the ECM either. The CG owner called his mechanic, same result, although he was much better than the preceding two.

Called ERS again and explained past happenings, they agreed to pay for the tow to the nearest qualified repair shop. They found the same as I, Cummins Great Plains in Rock Island, ILL was closest qualified repair shop.

Cummins diagnosed the problem, the shaft in the accumulator on the injection pump broke.($5,000 estimate, vs $10,000 for injection pump installed) There was none available last week, so we dry camped in their lot behind the building. Came home today because the temps were expected to be  100 and over this weekend and 90's all next week. So here I sit, waiting for something to happen, and saving up money.

If that wasn't enough, the ice maker water supply line rubbed against a metal piece on the back of the refrigerator and sprang a leak, flooding the back of the fridge and running into a basement compartment below. Shut off water filter to stop leak, gotta fix that when I get the MH back home.

DW cancelied her appt. at May clinic, because she will not stay in a motel during this pandemic, and Rochester is under a movement quarantine.

Edited by RayIN

I gotta pay to play.Regrettably our MH was too old at 15 years to qualify for renewing the extended service contract, or all it would cost me is the $50 deductible+ diagnostic fees.  DW and i are both better after a good nights sleep, she has strong medicine to help control her pain. She issued a stay-at-home order for both of us after watching the news last night.

FWIW, the Cummins Great Plains service manager said if the lift pump fails, the injector pump is not far behind. I replaced the lift pump in Feb, drove about 400 miles since then.

Edited by RayIN

Ray, our Injector pump was failing and Cummins in Joplin MO replace it with an re-manufactured from Cummins and our cost was $5,005.26. They did a beautiful job and we have had no issues.

Good luck and you and your wife have our prayers. 🙏

Herman

Herman was that including labor? I was quoted $5k for a new pump + another $5k for labor.

5 hours ago, RayIN said:

Thank you! That is 1/2 of what I was quoted.

Ray, what year and engine do you have? I am on mobile, signatures do not show.

Edited by jleamont

UGH, you have a very early build CAPS system. That might explain the cost of the pump.

anything aftermarket available?

I found two different diesel online shops selling re-manufactured CAPS injection pumps:

https://thedieselstore.com/4076442x-cummins-caps-pump-for-cummins-c-series-engines-2570.html

and

https://bkdiesel.com/i-30499453-cummins-8-3l-caps-fuel-pump.html

I doubt Cummins Great Plains will buy from an aftermarket seller though.

Then of course there is Alibaba selling rebuilt pumps from China, they advertise one for $500 incl. shipping. Nope, not gonna bite.

I called Cummins yesterday, was told the distributor was shipped, but arrival was a question. Called today; nope- distributor is MIA. The problem is from this virus-caused shutdown. No parts were made for 4 months, now there is a huge backlog of orders. They can get a Cummins - re-manufactured fuel pump, no new OEM's are available. Joe is right, the reason it costs so much is lack of availability due to age and short window of use by Cummins.

Ryan, on my High Pressure pump repair The parts were $3,77.83 plus labor, plus tax and all came to $5,029.05. This was July 1, 2017. Has run fine since.

The part # for my pump was 4076443RX I am assuming the RX stand of Re manufactured $3,529.89. They had to have it shipped from Kansas City to Joplin. They ordered in on Friday morning got it in by 3 that afternoon and put it on that night.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins

7 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Ryan, on my High Pressure pump repair The parts were $3,77.83 plus labor, plus tax and all came to $5,029.05. This was July 1, 2017. Has run fine since.

The part # for my pump was 4076443RX I am assuming the RX stand of Re manufactured $3,529.89. They had to have it shipped from Kansas City to Joplin. They ordered in on Friday morning got it in by 3 that afternoon and put it on that night.

Herman

The main problem is the four month backlog of orders caused by the virus shutdown. The high cost is due to Cummins only using my specific fuel pump for a short time. They used 3 different models in that 4 years.

So now i'm sitting inside twiddling my thumbs waiting for update from Cummins(I do call once a day JIC); tried working outside but the humidity and heat trigger an asthma attack. Heat index this week hovered near 105°.

Herman i  spoke with Cummins this morning, I have a different fuel pump than you, thanks for trying to help with cost though. I specifically asked if ULSD was involved in this failure. He said no, this failure was electrical in the  distribution module. If I haven't had any ULSD fuel problems to date,  I likely will not in the future, just keep doing what I have been in the past; which is using at least 10% bio-diesel-the best fuel lubricity available per this ISO study: https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/lubricity-additive-study-results.177728/

Ray. that's fine as long as you have also replaced all the seals and fuel line that does not degrade and become brittle by the BIO!  Remember, your engine was not designed for BIO or 15 ppm Sulfur.

Edited by manholt

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Ray. that's fine as long as you have also replaced all the seals and fuel line that does not degrade and become brittle by the BIO!  Remember, your engine was not designed for BIO or 15 ppm Sulfur.

OH, I know that all to well :(

It was the distributor module, it was replaced yesterday and road tested after their computer said everything from the ECM met Cummins specs now. We go get our MH Friday. They tested fuel pressure and flow rates yesterday too.

Since some of the latest ISC engines in MH's were rated at 380HP I asked about uprating my 350 engine ECM. The service manager said they could, BUT it is not a good idea for my  engine.

Next week I'll try and reschedule DW's Mayo Clinic appt. I already know that Dr. is booked out to the end of Sep.

We returned to Cummins Rock Island last Wed. to pickup our MH,, stayed the night in their parking lot (again). Left Thursday morning, got 28 miles and engine died on I 74. Called Cummins, they sent a wrecker. Next day they discovered the problem, the electrical connection to the distributor module was not solidly connected. The service manager said Cummins would pay the tow bill since the problem was their fault.

We're back home now, and the engine cranks a while before starting. They put on new fuel filters, I'll have to check them to see if one is leaking or double-gasketed.