mmfarmer2012

Rear Camera

I have a 2016 Newmar Mountain Aire that came from the factory without any sound in our backup camera.  Our 2012 had a microphone so I could hear my wife's voice when backing up.  Is this normal?  The dealer said they eliminated the sound due to the diesel engine being so loud....  Thoughts?

Different coach, but our camera has sound and it's useless. We use our cell phones with headsets if we need to communicate while parking.

We also have a hard rule - if I can't see my spotter in my mirrors or in my direct view the coach stops moving. I never use the camera as the only way I can see my spotter - just too easy to suddenly lose sight that way.

Edited by richard5933

2 hours ago, Jerry1938 said:

I agree with richard5933, especially if you have a diesel. The engine noise drowns out the wife's speech. We use our cell phones when necessary.

Jerry 

X2! Only difference, we only use RV hand signals no talking unless one of us physically goes to the other. The only thing I use the sound on the rear camera for is to "listen to that big diesel engine roar", To quote a song. Really, I can hear if the engine is running normally via the camera sound much better than trying to listen inside.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:27 AM, mmfarmer2012 said:

I have a 2016 Newmar Mountain Aire that came from the factory without any sound in our backup camera.  Our 2012 had a microphone so I could hear my wife's voice when backing up.  Is this normal?  The dealer said they eliminated the sound due to the diesel engine being so loud....  Thoughts?

Don't know about the new coach configuration, but you may find that the sound has been muted. There is probably a way to go into settings and correct this if you have the manual for the camera. I agree with others that the roar of the diesel motor overloads the sound on most coaches.