dsabers

What do People Recommend for a Water Softener

Looking to purchase a water softener for my 2019 Dutch Star and am looking for recommendations.

Edited by dsabers

I just searched Amazon for RV Water Softener. Mine is listed, but there are several. Suggest you select one of the 16,000 grain units. The smaller ones will require 1 pound of salt to recharge. The larger will require 2 pounds of salt. We have a washer, so we like the larger unit. We have had the smaller unit without a washer. Both of ours needed recharged 3-1/2 to 4 weeks.  Use only salt without iodine. 

I have a water softener at home and missed it when we traveled. This is just like being home. Getting closer to being full timers.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, rossboyer said:

I just searched Amazon for RV Water Softener. Mine is listed, but there are several. Suggest you select one of the 16,000 grain units. The smaller ones will require 1 pound of salt to recharge. The larger will require 2 pounds of salt. We have a washer, so we like the larger unit. We have had the smaller unit without a washer. Both of ours needed recharged 3-1/2 to 4 weeks.  Use only salt without iodine. 

Ross, do you have this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Softener-Trailers-Mobile-Washing/dp/B079N2L7L6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1GZ4NO49FWOH5&dchild=1&keywords=rv+water+softener+portable&qid=1604404898&sprefix=rv+water+soft%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKRENJN0xKVkI1NFkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5MTg4MzQxU0VGWjNZUjBJOVpHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNTUxNTkzMjNZOEU2TDBLVVhGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Mine looks like it is an older model made by same manufacturer. I don’t see why it wouldn’t serve you well for many years. I wouldn’t recommend the one that is about half the diameter of that size. 

19 minutes ago, rossboyer said:

Mine looks like it is an older model made by same manufacturer. I don’t see why it wouldn’t serve you well for many years. I wouldn’t recommend the one that is about half the diameter of that size. 

How do you add the salt, does the top unscrew? 

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to wrap my head around the softener. 

Joe, ours does and we add in 2 table salt (Iodine Free) containers....lasts for 4,000 gallons, that's twice a year for us!  With rebate it cost around $250, when full it will weigh 68 lbs. 

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Joe, ours does and we add in 2 table salt (Iodine Free) containers....lasts for 4,000 gallons, that's twice a year for us!  With rebate it cost around $250, when full it will weigh 68 lbs. 

Do you have a link? 

I am in the market for one. 

10 hours ago, jleamont said:

How do you add the salt, does the top unscrew? 

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to wrap my head around the softener. 

Yes, top unscrews, but first drain some water out of softener. Open top pour in 2 pounds of salt. You may need to pour in a little water to help salt to go down. Seal top and trickle out a little water. I taste the water. When it gets salty, turn off water and let it sit 30 minutes or so. Trickle in more water for about 20 minutes. Should not taste salty. If it does, trickle some more water. Then connect to RV and you are good for a month or more depending on your usage. We have a washer, so about a month is about the duration. 

3 hours ago, rossboyer said:

Yes, top unscrews, but first drain some water out of softener. Open top pour in 2 pounds of salt. You may need to pour in a little water to help salt to go down. Seal top and trickle out a little water. I taste the water. When it gets salty, turn off water and let it sit 30 minutes or so. Trickle in more water for about 20 minutes. Should not taste salty. If it does, trickle some more water. Then connect to RV and you are good for a month or more depending on your usage. We have a washer, so about a month is about the duration. 

Thank you 

Joe, I think we all miss understood you!  We are talking Coach or RV water softener (that's what we do on the Forum), not a whole house!  Our house system is several thousand dollars and it takes 40# bags!

39 minutes ago, manholt said:

Joe, I think we all miss understood you!  We are talking Coach or RV water softener (that's what we do on the Forum), not a whole house!  Our house system is several thousand dollars and it takes 40# bags!

No, I am talking about the RV, portable unit.

We are shopping for a house unit also not discussed here.  

53 minutes ago, jleamont said:

No, I am talking about the RV, portable unit.

We are shopping for a house unit also not discussed here.  

As for a home unit I was fortunate to have one costume made. What ever unit you decide on make sure that the plumbing connections are 1 size larger the feed to your home, I.E. 1" up size 1.25" this will prevent a pressure drop through the control head assembly.

53 minutes ago, dsabers said:

As for a home unit I was fortunate to have one costume made. What ever unit you decide on make sure that the plumbing connections are 1 size larger the feed to your home, I.E. 1" up size 1.25" this will prevent a pressure drop through the control head assembly.

Good to know, thank you.

We have well water for house, therefor the need for WS.  We got the WS for coach, so we could fill up our fresh water tank in the garage or outside faucet.  Currently building a new garage for current coach, it's 60' x 30' x 18' high inside, all metal.  I'll use the other one for guest.  The height was to low for this one and only 40' deep!  Joe would fit nicely, so would Herman. :P

8 hours ago, dsabers said:

If I remember hydraulics classes correctly the smallest diameter in the plumbing system determines total flow rate.

Yes sir you are correct and thats why you would want to up size the connection. Most of the time unless you order a custom unit the valves are not full port and will cause a pressure drop or reduced flow.