Sign in to follow this  
urbanhermit

Opinions of Fleetwood (Expidition especially) quality?

Beginning to consider a 2009 Expedition.  Know nothing of Fleetwood quality.  Experienced Itasca -- excellent-- and Monaco -- okay, but an orphan -- and have read owner reviews of various Flleetwood models including Expedition ranging from worst RV on the planet to best RV on the planet.  What say ye?

What length.  325 Cummins, Allison 3000, 725 Torque.  Entry level DP, seems to hold together good.  That's all I know! Sorry.

More than I knew -- thanks.  We like our Cayman 36, but it's a 2006 and I'm told (and experiencing) that from 2002 to 2006 support for them disappeared when massive amounts of documentation got lost in a transfer of ownership.  Our source told us 2008 to 2010 is the sweet spot, before DEF came along.  We're having resource problems that I expecct will get worse as time goes by.  At present we have a new coolant temperature gauge and a new sender (from two different events) and the gauge still doesn't work.  Our highly capable heavy truck and diesel RV shop can't get wiring information out of REV.  I'm probably going to have to mount a Joe Mudflaps underdash temp gauge and find someone to run a whole new wire from sender to gauge. 

So we're considering alternatives to keeping the Cayman -- alternatives that we entry level folk can afford. The one that caught our eye is a 37 if memory serves. 

The DEF junk came in on the '07 models.You might could find a later model that the chassis was purchased by the manufacturer before '07 and avoid the DEF. If it was my coach, I would keep it and figure out the wiring problem but I would not go for a band-aid fix of running new wiring for a "Joe Mudflaps" gauge. Find a shop that is RV experienced and not a truck shop. If you like your coach, keep your coach.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, urbanhermit said:

I'm probably going to have to mount a Joe Mudflaps underdash temp gauge and find someone to run a whole new wire from sender to gauge. 

Have you tried the gauge next to the sender, or just a piece of wire outside the coach to the gauge? That should tell if the gauge or wire is bad. Sometimes there can be a grounding issue with the gauge, or an engine to frame ground.

DEF was made mandatory in the 2010 models.  It's no big deal, just something you need to remember to do.  I look at like going from leaded to unleaded fuel....just something required.  I have had two big diesels, on with DEF, one without, no problems fuel wise with either one.