richard5933

Does 'other vehicles' include a travel trailer?

We've had the FMCA roadside assistance plan for a number of years on our motor home. This year we are adding a travel trailer to our fleet. If I have a current/paid policy for our motor home does anyone know if the travel trailer will be covered as 'other vehicles' are covered, or will I need to buy a separate policy for it?

As seems to be the usual, the contract is confusing.  Here's what my contract with them says, this is located on the first sheet of the policy, right under "expiration date."....in the first paragraph, "benefits are for the vehicle listed.''   That vehicle is on the last page, number four, of this document.  However, farther down in the same paragraph it says in bold print, "additional vehicles are eligible for road side assistance only."  So that would seem to include your TT....better call them to be sure.

It is confusing, for certain. The FMCA member's benefit page seems to imply that other owned vehicles are covered but there is no detail given on what that means.

This is a bit off-topic but illuminates a pitfall of roadside assistance response:  The need for two tow trucks can be a problem.  The alternator went out on my SUV while I was towing a trailer with a motorcycle on it.  This situation could be duplicated by a pickup and a bumper pull.  We didn't quite get home before the battery went out.  We lacked about 50 miles.  The contract I had then -- and no longer do -- covered any non-commercial vehicle I drove or in which I was a passenger.  No problem, right?  Except that after hours of waiting for the roadside assistance people to find a service provider, a flatbed was sent that had no trailer hitch.  They could load the SUV but could not carry or tow the trailer.  We were on an Interstate.  It was dark by this time.  I dared not leave the trailer and motorcycle beside the road.  They wouldn't have stayed there 30 minutes.  So my wife rode home in the wrecker and I stayed with the trailer/motorcycle for more hours while the roadside assistance people and the servivce provider argued about a second tow truck and then both gave up without notifying either me or my wife.  This little story is about situations with traielrs that would require two tow trucks, so I won't focus on the human failures that kept two very senior citizens beside an interstate from mid-afternoon until midnight. 

Edited by urbanhermit