WiscoJJ

First Class A - Looking for Perspectives

Hi All,

After many years of camping with TT's our family purchased our first Class A - a 2019 Thor Challenger 37FH that was gently used to the tune of just 6000 miles.  The couple we purchased from decided to purchase a home in Florida versus making the annual trip.  

Anyways, wanted to get some perspectives from the members here who have been doing this a lot longer than we have.   

QUESTION:  What upgrades/improvements do you recommend considering when purchasing a motorhome.  Perhaps you are on your fourth motorhome, what are the things you transfer from your previous motorhome to the new or you pick up shortly after changing?

Thanks!

Josh

challenger.jpg

Well the first thing to do is to take a minimal amount items with you first trip out. Take a notebook and pen/pencil with you, at the end of the first day write down everything that you didn't bring that you wish you had brought. Each day thereafter do the same thing for five days. Don't worry about upgrades for at least 6 trips, you will find plenty of things that you would like but can live without. Good looking coach, welcome to the forum, and wishing you happy tales and trails. Have fun!

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Well the first thing to do is to take a minimal amount items with you first trip out. Take a notebook and pen/pencil with you, at the end of the first day write down everything that you didn't bring that you wish you had brought. Each day thereafter do the same thing for five days. Don't worry about upgrades for at least 6 trips, you will find plenty of things that you would like but can live without. Good looking coach, welcome to the forum, and wishing you happy tales and trails. Have fun!

Thanks!  Great ideas!  Its easy to get caught up in some of the suspension related modifications, etc.  Take care!

Trust me we can help you spend your money faster than you would believe. 

Welcome to the forum. The first thing is to go weigh the coach with it loaded like you are leaving on a trip. Next set your tire air preshure. based on the load. 

Go on a few trips, I would do some local trips to help you get familiar with the coach and driving it. 

You should have most of the basics from your old camper.

I agree with Kay keep a tablet and pen handy so you can wright down things you forgot. When you get home work the list. You don't want to be "that guy" who keeps borrowing the corkscrew to open your wine.:lol:

Let us know how your first trip works out.

Bill

I don't think there will me many upgrades you will need for a while.  You can always add accessories like solar panels, outside lighting, who knows what? 

Since you've already been RVing, you know what is important to you when camping/traveling. Duplicate that "stuff" first, then start thinking what is different about the motorhome. 

Tools and spare parts might be important, depending on your mechanical ability.  You will need to concentrate much more on your tires, their age, condition, and inflation.  Check them cold before each trip.  Weigh your coach to make sure the tires are inflated properly for your weight. 

Most important, take time to enjoy your new purchase!  

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm on #18 Class A's, in 54+ years!  My wife (we got married last year) is on #6 Class A's, in 37 years!  We agree with Kay.

Whether used or new, we change all the bedding first.  On the first long weekend trip, we write down every thing that makes a noise or isn't working.  If your not set up for towing, then one of you drive the car/truck to RV Park, reverse the drive home, so both of you get used to driving the rig!  

While knowing the weight of your coach fully loaded is nice to know, its not on top of my wish list...too many variables like, full fuel, fresh water, grey tank, black tank, food....it all changes!  Clothing change according to season  and destination, its all more or less weight.  As for checking tire pressure in the morning, I don't.  My 8, TPM's tell me that on the computer screen!

You need to know the height off your coach, from the road surface to the top of your AC unit.  Your unit is listed as 38' ft long...get it measured, its probably around 40'+!  Mine is a 45', but its really 47' 4"+ tow bar!

Have fun

The first thing I always do is make sure the cheapo vent covers have a good cover over them like the MaxxAire covers.  All of the original covers I've seen are brittle from being in the sun.  The last thing you want to do is step inside your MH after it's been in storage awhile to find the vent cover is gone and let the rain come in to destroy the bed or floor under.  The covers are cheap insurance against disaster.