elkhartjim

Matt Miller Retiring as Newmar Pres

Since Winnebago stated Newmar will operate as a stand-alone company, I wonder who is next in line?

50 minutes ago, rayin said:

Since Winnebago stated Newmar will operate as a stand-alone company, I wonder who is next in line?

"Brian Hazelton will assume the role as President, Newmar Corporation effective August 27, 2021, with the existing Newmar leadership team, continuing fully intact. Following his retirement, Miller will continue as a strategic advisor.  Hazelton will transition to Newmar after most recently serving as the Senior Vice President, Winnebago-brand RVs. A five-year veteran of Winnebago Industries, Hazelton has helped guide a transformation of the Winnebago motorhome business through new product development efforts, building strong dealer relationships and driving service excellence."

Don

Matt will cash in some of his half million shares of Winnebago stock and live very comfortably. In reality, can you blame him? Newmar had been a family owned and operated business until WGO bought them. Basically, Matt had never answered to anyone expect his dad and since the WGO acquisition, he has had to answer to a completely different protocol. Newmar has always been about quality and WGO is all about profitability. It always makes a difference when you have to answer to the stockholders rather than your customers.

14 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Matt will cash in some of his half million shares of Winnebago stock and live very comfortably. In reality, can you blame him? Newmar had been a family owned and operated business until WGO bought them. Basically, Matt had never answered to anyone expect his dad and since the WGO acquisition, he has had to answer to a completely different protocol. Newmar has always been about quality and WGO is all about profitability. It always makes a difference when you have to answer to the stockholders rather than your customers.

Jim,  I don't blame him at all.  My guess is he has already had a run in or two with the CEO at WGO and has decided to take life easy.  Good for him.  I just hope this new WGO guy who is replacing him doesn't kill the proverbial goose that lays golden Aire, Star and Essex eggs.  And, I hope Matt's departure isn't signalling that WGO is already compromising on the Newmar quality.

Don

Edited by akadeadeye

4 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

Jim,  I don't blame him at all.  My guess is he has already had a run in or two with the CEO at WGO and has decided to take life easy.  Good for him.  I just hope this new WGO guy who is replacing him doesn't kill the proverbial goose that lays golden Aire, Star and Essex eggs.  And, I hope Matt's departure isn't signalling that WGO is already compromising on the Newmar quality.

Don

Unfortunately, Don,  I've seen the customer service decline sense WGPO's takeover and from what I read on other forums the quality has gone down also. I certainly don't blame Matt as I would do the exact same thing. When you start reporting to bean counters, and thats exactly who is taking over, the only thing that matters is bottom line. 

So, then the only remaining question left.  What will happen to the "Grand sons vision of a London Aire Prevost?"  

13 hours ago, rayin said:

Back when W was considering buying Newmar Mr. Matt Miller said no-one in the family wanted to assume control, or so I read in 2019, so he decided to sell.

Just for clarification, Mahlon Miller was owner and Matt, his son, was president when WGO bought Newmar. 

Mahlon Miller was the one shopping Newmar around to different company's. It was Newmar who approached Winnebago. 

If you say quality has gone down or customer service has gone down that is all on Newmar. Their quality has ben in decline for years. There has been no input /directives from Winnebago yet. Hopefully the new guy Brian Hazelton who is more quality minded and has a good background in manufacturing (I was told) can get things working better. 

Bill