akadeadeye

Million Dollar Highway 550 Colorado

Question

We will be traveling south from Canada next summer and plan to be in Montrose, CO visiting friends.  Would you drive Hwy 550 south to Durango in a 42 ft. MH, towing a car on a tow dolly?  Is it treacherous all the way or for just a few miles?  I've heard all kinds of stories and watched some videos but can't decide if we should do it.

Don

6 answers to this question

Don, I did last year but I was driving south to north so I was on the inside lane.  44foot motorhome towing my GMC Canyon PIckup 4-down. I'm not sure I would do the north to south drive. Whatever you decide, drive it in either the toad or the mh. 

Don, done that several times, but unless you got a reason to go to Durango, take Hwy 50 east to Hwy 285 south or I-25.

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Don, done that several times, but unless you got a reason to go to Durango, take Hwy 50 east to Hwy 285 south or I-25.

20 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Don, I did last year but I was driving south to north so I was on the inside lane.  44foot motorhome towing my GMC Canyon PIckup 4-down. I'm not sure I would do the north to south drive. Whatever you decide, drive it in either the toad or the mh. 

Jim and Carl,  Thanks.  I would enjoy the thrill and my wife would enjoy the scenery but *hit happens and I have become too much of a "what if" guy and I don't want to put us in a precarious position if something goes wrong with the rig on the climb up the pass. I might do it south to north but that white line gets mighty close to the edge in many spots going north to south.  I think I'll go east like Carl suggests.

Don

5 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

Jim and Carl,  Thanks.  I would enjoy the thrill and my wife would enjoy the scenery but *hit happens and I have become too much of a "what if" guy and I don't want to put us in a precarious position if something goes wrong with the rig on the climb up the pass. I might do it south to north but that white line gets mighty close to the edge in many spots going north to south.  I think I'll go east like Carl suggests.

Don

Wise decision. We did it in late Sept and the fall color was spectacular. I hope you can drive it at some point in your toad.

16 hours ago, akadeadeye said:

that white line gets mighty close to the edge in many spots

Yes and some places the line is the edge of the world and in others it is broken off to. Wife was upset because there was nothing under her as we turned except that grass way down there. No wait that isn't grass it is pine trees.:P

I would drive it in your toad before you take the RV over it.

Bill

Don, 

What we did the first time, take the Rail Road from Durango and the bus (not yours) back!  Half day deal